Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought one of these: http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-wr-rs-800360-eceee.html for a scope, & was not sure what height rings I needed, so I asked the guy on the phone & he said I needed the X High rings. I bought these: http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-wr-mt-6hlpty.html (item #99695) cause I thought they looked sturdy with the three sets of mounting screws to keep the scope inline, plus I like the way they look. (The first part is why I bought them, not cause of the look) I told the guy I wanted the scope to sit as low to the bore as possible. Will they be too high?

Is that a good scope?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could have gotten a lot better scope for that much cash.
And I'm pretty sure you don't need high rings with that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ciRe said:
You could have gotten a lot better scope for that much cash.
And I'm pretty sure you don't need high rings with that.
Like?

(I'm new to this so I'm curious what you mean by a lot better scope)

·
Registered
18 Posts
My guess is that High would be fine if you wanted some clearance for the bolt and adding caps, and maybe medium if you want lowest possible.

My 50mm Objective scope only clears the barrel by a couple mm with mediums.

And I think you will be happy with that scope, used a friends rifle with the 3-15 version and I liked it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
That looks like a pretty decent scope for $750.00. FFP is nice, I didn't read the whole add but if its MIL/MIL that is a plus! Keep us updated on how it works out for you.

When your picking out rings you want to try and keep it low so you have a solid cheek weld. Everyone has a different facial structure so med. or lows might be perfect. If you don't have a good cheek weld you will fatigue a lot faster while your "on the rifle" most common when shooting prone supported.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JFComfort said:
That looks like a pretty decent scope for $750.00. FFP is nice, I didn't read the whole add but if its MIL/MIL that is a plus! Keep us updated on how it works out for you.
Sorry I'm new to this stuff, what does FFP & MIL/MIL mean?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
FFP is Front Focal Plane. And the Mil/Mil is that the reticle is mildot and the adjustment knobs are all Mil clicks not MOA.

I almost forgot a FFP scope will let you use the mildot reticle for ranging at any magnification and also for drops at any magnification.

Aron-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for clearing that up for me Winxp_Man.

JFComfort's link helped me understand even better, thanks.

Off topic to this thread: I bought a B&C Tactical stock & have it installed, but there is a slight rub on the stock when I cycle the bolt, from the bolt handle. The stock is a black with gray webbing look, if I take a file to the stock what would be the recommended way to cover up the filing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts