Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, im new here be nice :)

In the next few weeks i should be getting my first SPST. It will be in .223.

I wanna get a Redfield 3-9x40 scope for it as i have heard good things, unless anyone can tell me about something better for similar rpice.
What are my mounting options, i dont want to spend too much on mounts but at same time i would like it to be solid and decent quality.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Welcome to the club ! :D
The latest scope I got for my .308 SPS Tac is a Hawke 4.5-14x42 sidewinder tactical 30. I have some stuff posted in the scope section.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A lot of people seem to like the Bushnell Elite series namely the 3200. It's has a good price point and very good glass for the money.

I have a 4200 on my AR-15 and I like it very much!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
do the 3200 series have a side focus or is it AO ?

Also to Frog what applications are you looking for ? and how much money you willing to spend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the redfield I was looking at is around US$150 plus postage, I'm actually in Australia but cheaper to import scopes from the US. So anything round that price I'll consider. Then mounting solution on top of that, not sure what good rings and bases are worth but wouldn't really wanna spend more than $75ish on that side, unless there is a good reason. But yeah as I said I don't have any real idea on what to use to mount it all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
frog_a_lot said:
Well the redfield I was looking at is around US$150 plus postage, I'm actually in Australia but cheaper to import scopes from the US. So anything round that price I'll consider. Then mounting solution on top of that, not sure what good rings and bases are worth but wouldn't really wanna spend more than $75ish on that side, unless there is a good reason. But yeah as I said I don't have any real idea on what to use to mount it all.
Im running a set of burris xtreme tactical rings. they were fairly cheap and have served me well so far.

·
Registered
190 Posts
frog_a_lot said:

I wanna get a Redfield 3-9x40 scope for it as i have heard good things, unless anyone can tell me about something better for similar rpice.
What are my mounting options, i dont want to spend too much on mounts but at same time i would like it to be solid and decent quality.
Cheers
WELCOME,I dont think 3-9x40 will have enough power for your needs at least try the 4-12x40
redfield is great quality for the money,I personally would maybe go nikon buckmaster 6-18x40
I have two of them and am very pleased.

·
Registered
403 Posts
dratt1957 said:
frog_a_lot said:

Cheers
WELCOME,I dont think 3-9x40 will have enough power for your needs at least try the 4-12x40
redfield is great quality for the money,I personally would maybe go nikon buckmaster 6-18x40
I have two of them and am very pleased.
I agree with dratt on the Nikon Buckmaster 6x18x40 SF. I have one mounted on my .308 SPS Tactical and it's an outstanding scope for the price. Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have thought 4-12 would be over kill in a 223, most shooting will be done at 50-200yards because the closest range is only a 50 yard range and others are 200. Us 4x too much if I'm shooting at 50-100 yards or will it be ok?

I am thinking 20moa egw base, probably Burris xtr low rings to mount scope. Anyone know a place that has them cheap and ships international?

What is the effective range of a 223 with store bought 55-63gr ammo? I was thinking round 300 yards before they end up getting thrown everywhere by wind and drop?

·
Registered
121 Posts
If your only shooting 200 yards, I would go with a 0 MOA base. If you start trying to shoot really tight groups that 4X scope is gonna leave you needing/wanting more.

·
Registered
403 Posts
+1 on the 0 MOA base you wont need the 20 MOA for the distances your talking about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I'm about to pull the trigger (sorry about pun) on an egw 0moa base, redfield 4-12x40 scope and Burris xtr low rings. I am thinking about buying from opticsplanet as they ship internationally and have decent prices. Damn now I just wanna get it all and go play haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts