Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own several rifles and have never had this issue. My gun has been developing the orange dust that will eventually become rust(wipes right off). Its covering the bolt handle and other areas on the gun. Sitting in the safe next to many other guns that are not doing this. My question is anyone else having this issue, i know it is humidity related but why do my other guns not have this problem? I coat the thing with rem oil after each range day but I am still cleaning it every few weeks. Any ideas on what i should do? is there a better product to protect the coating and stop this from happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Remington 870 that has the same issue. I don't know any other better ways to prevent it than what you are already doing. That is exactly what I use is rem oil. The only thing I can think and I have no clue if this is true or not because I havn't heard of this problem outside of you and myself but, The finish itself Whatever it is that black parkarized finish or whatever could be the problem. I don't know what would cause it or why it would do that but I have a 700 sps as well and they look like the exact same finish and thats kinda what lead me to this little assumption. my 700 hasn't had it bad yet but maybe its an illusion but if i look carefully I think I can see that faint orangish brown color on it. So no I can't really help you but I'm letting you know that your not alone and thank you for lettimg me know that I'm not the only one who has this issue either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I think it is just the type of park job. Miltec1 seems to curve it a little. Apply it and heat in the oven to about185 and let it sit for 20 minutes or so and pull it out hot and reapply. Then when I clean, I clean with hoppes exclusively. If the humidity does get to it I'll apply rem-oil heavily (I mean wet) and wipe it down before I shot.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i had the same problem on one of mine one time. i am a clean freak so this botherd me pretty bad, aint sure what caused it cause i have a de-humidifier in one of my safes. but an old man in my communuty told me to treat it like a cast iron frying pan. which is what i did by heating the barrel up by shooting about 12-15 maybe more rounds thru it in concession.while the barrel was hot,i soaked it down with a good heavy coat of kroil.i think the heat opened the pores in the metal and the kroil penetrated the pores deep to "seal" the metal. i know for a fact this worked for me!! no problems since. as for the action which didnt heat up i just kept it saturated with a heavy coat for probobly an entire deer season. it was slower process but effective. now i can hunt in a rain storm,wipe it down with silicon rag and some gun oil and never had issue since. this was on a hunting rifle i used, my 3 target guns are completley stainless steel so there wont be an issue there. try it it really worked for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When Im putting mine in storage I use a product called "Clenz-oil". It goes on like normal oil bu tit lasts...and eventually when the lighter parts have evaporated it leaves a film like you did a wipe down with something like Vasoline.

Ive had trap guns standing in the gun cabinet since the late 80's......not a speck of rust on any of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts