Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing a new rifle for elk/muley hunt in ID in the fall of 2011.(stoked):D
I bought a barely used stainless rem700 xcr in .300 win mag. 26" tube. Was told its has 3 boxs of shells thru it after being broke in with the Tubbs system. ($350) Bore looks nice

For optic i have selected a Leupold 4.5 x 14x40 VX3 CDS ($539)

I got everything set up and ran 2 box's of shell' s through it to see where I stood. I wasn't impressed with the patterns at all. Got my best groups at about 1.5 inches at 100 yards in a led sled. I have a rem700 .280 mountain rifle that i did a little work on 25years ago and it patterns about .3 to .5 inch at 100yds all day long.
So I am planning on doing a little work on the 300.

The stock is junk imho, so I am replacing it with a Bobby Hart AccuBlock Long Range Sporter (LRS) Remington
700 BDL SPS Laminated Thumbhole FBC Riflestock in granite grey. ($254)
This stock looks real good to me, It comes with a aluminum bedding block and pillers installed as well. Then do a free float/skim bedding job on it.

A sims recoil pad

I am on the fence in regards to a trigger. The .280 has a stock trigger that I adjusted to between 2.5 and 3 lbs (do not have a gauge to measure it) and its just fine.

Are the triggers of the new and old the same? The 300 is not externally adjustable and physically looks the same?

I also plan on a harris bipod and I think a butler creek sling. Also on the fence about the sling as well.

I am a little worried about weight... but overly so, I will have to carry it regardless of the weight.

So I am patiently waiting for Xmas,Tax's season to be over so i can get down to completing the rifle.

I am hoping that that will tighten things up considerably, I havn't reloaded in a long time, but plan to start again as soon as money and time allows. (summer)

Ammo i am hoping will pattern will initially be federal premium 180gn accubonds. I bought 2 box's to try next time I can get to the range.

I would like to be set up to be able to shoot up to 500 yards (hunting situations) Target range as far as she will go. I have practiced distance quite a bit and have taken some animals at some pretty decent ranges in the past with the .280
But never at 8500-9500 Feet

Will this get it done ??

Sorry for the length, I am itching to get startedbut have to wait for a bit

Regards and happy holidays to all.....PS my 1st post on this site
Gspman

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The stock change out should without a question improve your groups. As for the trigger I like the older Remington tirgger and the new X-Mark trigger but for 130 shipped home you cant beat the Timney 510 trigger at all. To be consistent in shooting good groups you also have to have the same trigger pull, and thats what the Timney trigger helps with because its wider than the standards Remington triggers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winxp_man
Thanks for the reply !

Thats my question about the trigger, I know its not the x mark but i don't know if its the same as the old or if its a different design all toegether.

I will play with it some and see what i can make of it. I will have to do it by feel as I don't have a gauge

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just checked the Timney website, lots of rave reviews...Definetly something to think about. There were a couple of gripes in regards to the safety and bolt release. But everyone liked the pull and break.....hhhhmmm

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I personally don't see any issues with the safety. The only thing that I would mention is that the sound it makes when switching from safe to fire is a little loud maybe ??? But I serisouly think that people just have to have a issue with something. the trigger you have is probebly the old trigger that has internal adjustments. I had that trigger setup on my old SPS that I bought back in 04-05 and I did like it but the Timney is a million times better. If you do end up getting one trust me you will not regret it. If 308isgreat chimes in he can also give some insight about the trigger. Just the fact that it is wider on the trigger makes it better to shoot with.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've got the Xmark trigger and I really like it so far - set to about 3 lbs, but I've also heard great things about the Timney trigger. A wider trigger like that would be nice. I'm also looking for a new stock - probably an HS Precision - which should help groups as well. Sounds like it will be a nice setup when you get everything done.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Paladin are you a member over at snipershide ? if you are check out the FS:gun accessories and parts thread there are stocks always going up for sale on there. in the 200 dollar range + or -

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am, as of last month, but haven't posted yet. I've got to bust out that email I got from SH and remember my user name. I'll do that, though, thanks.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You should find some really good deals on there. A new stock will really improve your groups and give the rifle a really good feel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Winxp_Man You have me convinced, I have been messing around trying to get the .300 trigger comparible to the .280. Just feels like mush.

I have been using this for a procedure :

Back out the spring tension (trigger pull) screw to a light trigger pull that is adequate to keep some pressure on the trigger but is very light (trigger pull will be set later). Next back out the sear engagement screw, and the over travel screws several turns.

Once the screws are adjusted as above, close the bolt (without dry firing) and SLOWLY turn the sear engagement screw in until the firing pin is released. From this point, back the screw out a half turn. Without recocking the firing pin, screw the over travel screw in until you feel it contact the trigger lightly, preventing the trigger from moving. From this point, back the over travel screw out a quarter turn. When you pull the trigger at this point there should be a very slight movement of the trigger.

To adjust the trigger pull, adjust the spring tension screw to a pull that you like. As you turn the screw in the trigger pull will be increased and the pull will be reduced as the screw is backed out

Maybe i need to put a couple hundred trigger pulls with a snap cap and try again or just get a new trigger.

gspman

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Well you will only buy the trigger once. Plus if you keep the stock trigger and you decide to sell the rifle you can always switch out the trigger to stock again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well folks its been a long while since i have posted, I have been busy though.

Since bedding the stock, instaling/adjusting the jewel trigger, reloading my own ammo, shooting 6 weeks of 600yd bench rest at the club. it's come to the point that i Have a 3/4 inch rifle @ 100yds. I could'nt figure out why it was not shooting better.
So i decided to do something different, i used some machinest blue die on the lugs of my bolt.. lo and behold only 1 lug of my bolt was locking up the action.
To say i was shocked was an understatement. I have found a master gunsmith not to far from my place and took the rifle to him to check out. He lead slugged the chamber and he determined that the chamber was a little cockeyed from the centerline of the action/bore plus verified that the bolt was not locking up on both lugs.
Sooooo
I had him clean everything up, he trued/blueprinted the action, recut the chamber after cutting some off the threaded end of the barrel to shorten the new chamber.
He cut new threads on the barrel tenon as well as the receiver. When he is finished, we aer going to do shooting on his range to see how things work out.
If it shoots to my satisfaction, i am also going to have him put on a muscle brake.

Next time i post i am hoping to report i have a "bugholer" and a huge grin on my face ....
Evidently i bought a problem child rifle, when i am done it will be the bell of the ball.

Not sure whats going on with the ammo shortage, or the reloading components as of late. But i hope it corrects itself soon.
Or my recreational shooting is going to be seriously degraded. Its not long before I am out of bullets, powder, primers ect...
My local supplier is out of everything, they have no idea when they can expect new supplies in or of what quanity..

OBTW
North Korea... Just make your move, Your days are done, too many good men have died in the past to put up with your BS anymore
You F*** With bull, U will get the Horns

I guess china cant keep controll of their minions

Just jmho
:mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts