Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I recently received a new 700 SPS Tactical as a Christmas gift and promptly joined this forum.
I got questions. Will a Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm LOW ring fit onto this rifle with an EGW 20MOA Rail? I went
ahead and got myself the rail, but I wanted to check with some people who knew before buying the rings....
Feel free to give me any suggestions your may have--I'm totally open to any and all ideas. Here's my parts list:

Pieces already bought:

700 SPS Tactical (someone loves me!) :D
Millett 4-16x50 1/4 MOA (affordable and got good reviews)
EGW 20MOA Base (everyone told me to)

Pieces for consideration:

Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm (LOW or MEDIUM)? <----HELP!
Harris LM Series 1A2 9-13 (duh)
MOLLE Sniper Drag Bag (I like bags better than cases)

Thanks for the help! I will try to get some pics or something up soon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went with the EGW 20MOA as well due to recommendations, but have since read many reviews where a 20MOA is only recommended if you're shooting 600+ yards on a regular basis. I went ahead and ordered a 0MOA so I'll have both. I will use the 0 until I start shooting over 600 yards, which will likely not be very soon. I should have done more research on what my needs were. I don't mind owning both. It gives me the option to switch between the two.

The Millett is on my list of possible scopes, especially for the price. I'm also considering a Zeiss Conquest, which also gets amazing reviews and can be purchased for $400.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the con to using the 20MOA at shorter ranges? Right now I'm
looking at around 450-500 since that is what my own space allows.

Know anything about the ring sizes?

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
TheCounselor said:
What's the con to using the 20MOA at shorter ranges? Right now I'm
looking at around 450-500 since that is what my own space allows.

Know anything about the ring sizes?
Not too many cons to having a 20 MOA for shorter ranges of shooting. You will have to dial it down a bit for the short range shots. The benefits of a 20MOA mount is for the benefit of your scope. It allows for ample forward elevation of the scope so your scope will have enough MOA adjustment for long range shooting. Ring size is based on how you sight your scope and where your eye falls when you get a good cheek weld with the stock. Generally low to medium height rings work well and will also be dictated by the size of the forward objective lens. Some base mounts are a little higher or lower on the reciever and thats another factor. You also have to factor the size tube the scope is. There are two sizes....30mm which are usually on the higher end optics or 1" which is usually on the middle of the road to lower end optics. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I will have a look into those articles. The main concern (question)
I have is whether or not the Burris LOW ring set will fit onto this rifle with a EGW 20MOA base
and Millet scope (50mm objective). I have always been told to get the scope as low as possible
while still being able to clear the bolt knob, caps, etc. Will these items git together with the LOW
Burris rings or should I be looking into the MEDIUM sized rings?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure what other have found, but for me the medium height Burris rings fit perfect for me. I also have the EGW 20 moa rail. My scope is the Nikon Coyote Special 3-9X40 which I love for quick moving targets, but it might not be ideal for precise long range shooting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i was in the same boat you were in. i ended up getting 20 moa rail and medium rings. only cause nobody had the lows in stock and i'm not a patient person. i think the lows would clear...i have a little attachment to my bolt and it BARELY clears the scope.
here is mine
sps
millett trs-1
20 moa
med rings

pics make it hard to see how low it sits. but its actually lower than a lot of pics i have seen on here and snipershide...but i THINK you could fit lows

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sackett, thank you so much! You are THE man! What kind of knob cover is that?
I guess I will look into the Medium size then, since I would like to add something
very similar to what you have there. Thanks again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The low XTR's will definitely clear. I have an SPS tac with a TRS-1 EGW 20moa and XTR lows...so exactly what your considering lol and it clears with the stock flip covers. Hope this helped ya!
Heres an older pic that shows a good angle of that setup:

*the only downfall I had to this setup was with the stock bolt knob and the zoom adjustment...they were really close when pulling the bolt back. Once I had AZ precision throw on a new knob I couldn't ask for a better setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Formally requesting permission to copy your build! That is exactly what I am wanting
to do with mine down to the T--though I'm thinking about getting the 9-13 Harris as
I will be shooting from the ground rather than from a bench rest. Thank you guys so
much for all the info. I hope to be ordering me some stuff soon and I will try to post
some pictures :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
TheCounselor said:
Formally requesting permission to copy your build! That is exactly what I am wanting
to do with mine down to the T--though I'm thinking about getting the 9-13 Harris as
I will be shooting from the ground rather than from a bench rest. Thank you guys so
much for all the info. I hope to be ordering me some stuff soon and I will try to post
some pictures
his is exactly what i wanted too...but i wanted mine finished and didnt want to wait on rings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same here Sackett. I do have one question before ordering though.
Straight: when you say really close do you mean that was a problem
for you or just a minor annoyance? I ask because although I do plan
on getting some worked done to the knob eventually, it will take me
a while before I'm able to. Lemme' know!

·
Registered
38 Posts
TheCounselor said:
some pictures
Hahaha go for it! It's a great affordable setup and I'm glad to see someone who likes it. I've since gotten a new stock so it's all yours. And you probably would be better off with your 9-13 for the ground as I mainly do bench rest (although I'm not a big guy so my 6-9 works decent on the ground for me)

TheCounselor said:
Same here Sackett. I do have one question before ordering though.
Straight: when you say really close do you mean that was a problem
for you or just a minor annoyance? I ask because although I do plan
on getting some worked done to the knob eventually, it will take me
a while before I'm able to. Lemme' know!
As for the stock knob being close, it was more of a slight annoyance than a problem and at no point did it make contact with the scope. When you have a new knob installed you'll love it even more.
Happy buildin' :cool:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wow. An SPS Tac as a gift. That's pretty epic. I run medium XTR rings. I've got plenty of room with my scope setup but I don't have the 20 MOA mount yet. Depending on your scope, you probably don't need the 20 MOA mount for the ranges you discussed but all the cool people have them... I keep hearing great things about Millett scopes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as bags go, if ya don't wanna break the bank but want a good drag bag check out Amazon. Just do a search on Molle drag bag and the first one that pops up will be an ACU digital camo bag for $55.99. Cheap. I love mine. Heavy straps, 2 gun compartments, and lots of extra pockets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think I have decided on going with the Millett TRS-1 based on reviews and price. I'd like to try the Vortex Viper PST, but I just can't justify spending the $400 extra. Seems like a couple members on this board are happy with their Millett.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just hope the magnification isn't too much for medium to big game at close range. I'm curious as to how the Millett performs in the 50-100 yard range. For the guys using the Millett, how is the close range with this scope? Any problems?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts