Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum, so I hope I am posting this in the correct topic area. Both my brother and I recently purchased new Rem 700 CDL's.

His is a .300 Win Mag right hand bolt purchased in CA this April. Mine is a 7 mm Rem Mag left handed bolt purchased in CO this Sept.

When my brother went out to sight his in he did all the standard cleaning etc, but noticed that after only a few rounds he could barely extract the spend casings from the rifle. The trouble appeared to be that the shells were getting stuck in the chamber. To the point that the range officer had to tap the bolt handle with a wooden mallet to get the spent casing removed.

I don't have the exact spec's on his ammo, but he said he was shooting Winchester Super X factory loads.

Fast forward to Sept. and I am at the range sighting mine in and I don't have the same issue with Remington factory loads, but at my second session I try Winchester and have the same problem, but not quite as bad as he did. The spec's on my ammo is as follows:

Winchester 7 mm Rem Mag. Super X 175 grn Power Points
Remington 7 mm Rem. Mag. 175 grn Core Lokt PSP

At home I took two of the leftover unfiired rounds of each brand and measured them with my reloading calipers and found virtually no measurement difference. However, the Remington brass appeared slightly more dinged up than the Winchesters making me wonder if the brass alloy composition might be different.

There was no issue chambering the Winchesters, and the bolt seemed to rotate ok, but the pull rearward is where it seemed to bind up. The ejected casings did have scratches down the lower portion, and there was no deformation of the head stamp and the spent primers were still tight and flush in the primer pockets.

Has anyone else out there seen or heard of this happening?

Your help and advice is sincerely appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
From what your describing it seems that your having over pressure problems. This can be caused by too heavy of a charge in the bullets or by having a chamber that is out of spec.
It's interesting that both you and your brother are having the same problem. How old is the ammo? Have youtried different ammo in the rifles?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've had the same problem and the more and more I shoot it oand work the bolt mine seems to be getting better. If you go to my topics look for one called simply enough "sticky bolt" and I got a bunch of advise on the subject. Look it up I'm sure it will help you out. If anything sit with your rifle and start cycling the bolt as much as possible and see it that helps "if its a new rifle"

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well for some reason mine was after shooting like that and seems to be getting better the more I shoot it. I'm no expert but just stating my observation on what's going on with my rifle with this similar instance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your responses. I did look at the sticky bolt thread you reference elsewhere on the site, but that seemed like the bolt mechanism itself was sticky in that case. This is definitely caused by the ammo as the bolt is otherwise smooth as silk with the Remmy's in the chamber.

In both my case, and my brother's case the ammo was new in the box. With mine, I actually cracked open the case there at the store to get the box of Winchesters.

Based on the indications it looked like over pressure to me as well, but didn't expect that out of two entirely different manufacture lines.

I am heading to the range tomorrow with more Remmy's to get my zero back on before Elk season, so I will let you all know if they work as well as expected. The over pressure theory does seem plausible given that not all the Winchesters stuck in the chamber, but when they did, I stopped using them.

That just seems like real bad QC if that much ammo is going out there door over loaded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Range Report - I took the rifle out today and shot 40 rounds of the 175 grain Remington's without a single sticky round. Bolt functioned flawlessly.

I guess Remington 700's don't like Winchesters being put through them.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the problem is a pressure problem I would suggest looking at the bullet selection. The 175 grain bullet is a heavy bullet for the 7MM Mag. The winchester power points may make the bullet longer to make this weight. Another thing that can happen is that the o-give falls further foreward on the bullet. This could allow the bullet to actually touch the lands when chambered, depending on the rifle (each rifle is slightly different). IF the bullet is touching the lands when shot it will cause chamber pressure to jump rapidly. Much more rapidly than is common. Another thing that can happen is that the bullet is too far way from the lands causing the bullet to jump a long distance (I think this is unlikely with the heavy 175grain 7MM bullet). This can also cause higher than normal pressure. It may be that your gun doesn't care for the chosen seating depth for the winchester ammo using that particular bullet.

Might I suggest you try some federal premium ammo with the 160 grain Nosler Accubond bullet. It is a lighter/shorter bullet with an O-give that is further back due to it's aerodynamic shape (this means a better ballistic coefficient). It is a solid bullet for elk, I use it in my 7MM Mag. The 160 will hit plenty hard enough and be flatter shooting at longer ranges than the 175. Also the Accubond is a bonded core bullet that has better weight retention properties than the core-lokt. I expect the Accubond would perform better. Tomorrow I'll get some reload data for you on the 7MM Mag using Accubond bullets. If I recall correctly I'm pushing them at 3200fps and shooting 1" groups at 200 yards. Plug that into a ballistics calculator and you can sight in 3" high at 100 yards and hold dead on for elk out to about 450 yards. An impressive round!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
700Sage - thanks for the info, yes I would be interested in the reload data. I won't have time to work up a load before Elk season, but definitely want to work up a load for next year.

I look forward to seeing the data.

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts