Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is James. I am new to the forum but joined up since my next gun buy is going to be a 700 SPS. I am looking for advice/insight into what caliber to purchase. I have been reading about the .300 Win Mag and the .308. Can someone with some experience with both help shed some knowledge onto my subject please?

Some general background: I am not new to guns. I was born and raised in WV and grew up hunting and shooting. I am pretty green when it comes to rifles however. Growing up I had shotguns, muzzleloaders, a F&N Forty-Nine handgun, and 1 SKS AR (my only rifle). As the years have passed my collection was sold off for beer money in college or whatnot and now I currently have my Mossberg 88 and my Tapco SKS AR.

I am really interested in getting back into target shooting (both shotgun and long range) as a hobby. I would love to try out some serious range shooting between 500-1000 yds and learn more about how to adjust for wind, drop, and all the fun stuff that comes with shooting such distances. I live near ATL now so I do not get to do as much shooting as I would like. I know NO ONE with land like I did back in WV so currently I am limited to ranges around the city which can get costly.

However, researching this purchase has done one thing; show me how long it has been since I have been involved with shooting! The sport has grown quite a bit and seems a lot more complex now than it was just 10-20 years ago so now I am here seeking advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome James,

It really is a personal choice and you can argue either point. Were talking about magnum vs. non-mag rounds and actions.

Mine was a choice of shooting what I am required to shoot. I wanted to own a mirror of what I am supposed to be proficient at - the .300WM (M24 A1 7.62X67). In addition to that I like that my round stays supersonic until about 1250 - 1280 meters. So I can, and do (albeit seldom) take shots out to 1500m.
I also enjoy the noise and recoil of the .300WM.

The .308 comes down off of supersonic earlier than that. We know that bullets lose their stability once they go subsonic. So knowing you're looking for a 500 - 1000m gun you might honestly be considering the .308.

It's also a matter of hunting, target shooting or competing. I only shoot steel and paper. I really like hearing that .300 smack steel at 1000m and beyond.

Think of this:
How exactly are you going to use it
Do you mind the recoil
How far are you going to be pushing it

Also you may want to consider this - most guys on this site shoot .308 and reload their own ammo. So they are a wealth of knowledge for reloading. You can get ahead of the game relying on their knowledge and calling upon their experience with loads in that caliber. Much, Much fewer shoot the .300WM.

Hope it helps, and again, welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great advice! Thanks.

I have never considered the reloading side of things. In the long run that would seem to save some money, which is always good!

My primary uses would be for target shooting. I used to hunt, but have not in the last 10-15 years I would say. I am not against it, just quit a while back and never went back to it.

As for the recoil, I do not mind. Part of me is saying if you are going to go, go big! Keep challenging yourself. I would say that I would not mind working out to shooting the gun as far as I can. The challenge seems very interesting and difficult, something that could be a LONG time hobby. It seems to be a sport I can teach my son and we can do together over both of our lifetimes.

Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Reloading also will get you a higher degree of accuracy. Factory loads are getting better, but none are as good you loading your own. This is especially important if it's paper/steel target shooting.

There aren't enough father/son activities going on lately. We need more of them. It would be cool to build a custom .300WM for yourself and build him the exact mirror replica in a smaller caliber (.243, .308, etc.).

·
Registered
277 Posts
eersfanpilot said:
That is a great idea about mirroring the guns! I have a lot of time to build and learn since he is only 4 also. :)

:lol: :lol: LMAO! hahahaha.

Ok, so what I'm hearing is, for now anyway, he needs the .243! hahaha Yeah, you've got time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B0BK4T said:
eersfanpilot said:
That is a great idea about mirroring the guns! I have a lot of time to build and learn since he is only 4 also. :)

:lol: :lol: LMAO! hahahaha.

Ok, so what I'm hearing is, for now anyway, he needs the .243! hahaha Yeah, you've got time.

Ha ha! The .243 sounds about right! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts