Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK ive gone and pulled the trigger on a new Vortex scope but here in the UK they are pretty hard to come by and tend to get snapped up pretty quick. I already have a Vortex viper 6-24x50 HS LR XLR in MOA on my 700p but i need to upgrade my scope that i have on my 700VTR. The only scope i could get my hands on was the Viper PST 6-24x50 EBR in MRAD what i was wondering is does anyone else here use both types of scope MOA and MRAD or do you tend to stick to one or the other?.

cheers AL

·
Super Moderator
478 Posts
I just purchased the 4x16 in MRAD and took it to the range Sunday. The thing that really stood out was the .1 mrad clicks. When zeroing I just read mils from POA and adjusted by the milsx10. Quick, easy and spot on. I'm sure the MOA will be easy also just a little less so. Either way you go the real advantage is reticle and clicks matched.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Really just a preference thing friend. I personally go MOA for all my scopes because I'm used to inches. If you like Metric go with Mrad. Just whatever is easiest for you to think about. Can't go wrong with either. Great scope choice by the way. Might be confusing to switch between both systems though if your used to one I might try to stick with MOA but if you think switching between is ok by all means go for it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Just tossing in my $0.02, I prefer MOA. Yes, a Milrad scope will have .1 Milrad adjustments each one of those is over 1/4 MOA per "click". My scopes are 1/8 MOA per click so when I zero, I can get it just about "dead nuts" on the POA without any need to apply "kentucky windage", With the coarser adjustments POI can be higer/lower or left/right from your actual POA.

Oh yeah, unless I was shooting in a "Metric Country" or in the Military, I'll stick with "local units". Just make sure that reticle and knobs use the same units. Gets to be a pain if you have a Mil-Dot reticle and knobs calibrated in "inches" (or MOA).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for all the input guy's its much appreciated MRAD is a bit of a new thing for me as ive grown up on MOA despite what you may think the UK never went fully metric thank god LOL. So as a child born in 1969 I'm used using a mix and match of metric and imperial. Well it turned up in the post today but its going to be a few weeks till i can get down range and i need to get some mounts so while I'm waiting for those to turn up ill make and print out some reticle spread sheets in MRAD like ive done for my Viper LRX in MOA so i can just swap the sheets over for which ever scope I'm using at the time so hopefully i should be ok.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just tossing in my $0.02, I prefer MOA. Yes, a Milrad scope will have .1 Milrad adjustments each one of those is over 1/4 MOA per "click". My scopes are 1/8 MOA per click so when I zero, I can get it just about "dead nuts" on the POA without any need to apply "kentucky windage", With the coarser adjustments POI can be higer/lower or left/right from your actual POA.

Oh yeah, unless I was shooting in a "Metric Country" or in the Military, I'll stick with "local units". Just make sure that reticle and knobs use the same units. Gets to be a pain if you have a Mil-Dot reticle and knobs calibrated in "inches" (or MOA).
I was all ready to get my popcorn out and watch the show!!!! No drama?????:confused:
As has already been stated, it's a personal thing much like 9mm vs 45. I also prefer MOA but I actually do own a couple in Milrad. With my fragile little mind MOA makes more sense.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you had the chance to get to the range? I am interested in the same question for a project that is currently on hold due to life getting in the way and want to finish it before anti-gun state politics place too many restrictions on it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes i did and i love it i did go on the Vortex site to down load and print out the bullet drop graph and reticule spread sheets just to help me out but i am really liking it very much its a very cool scope.

AL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really just a preference thing friend. I personally go MOA for all my scopes because I'm used to inches. If you like Metric go with Mrad. Just whatever is easiest for you to think about. Can't go wrong with either. Great scope choice by the way. Might be confusing to switch between both systems though if your used to one I might try to stick with MOA but if you think switching between is ok by all means go for it. Good luck!
It's a misnomer that MRAD is a metric system. Just because it is based on 1000ths does not make it metric. Whether it's a 1000th of a meter, or a 1000th of a yard, or a 1000th of anything, it is certainly not metric...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vortex Optics has been a solid part in the optics market, offering shrewd plans that are made to elevated expectations, yet additionally figuring out how to keep them reasonable.
An organization hoping to purchase an enormous amount of optics, or an individual official who needs to obtain their own gear, can get extraordinary incentive for their cash with a Vortex item

1 - 13 of 13 Posts