Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
I am speaking with a guy who is interested in selling a 700BDL to me.
He says it is a "first edition" with a high gloss walnut stock.

He also said it has a laser etched bold simmons scope?
He didn't use any punctuation so I don't know if the stock is laser etched or the scope is.

I am trying to determine if the rifle is as "rare" as he says and if it is really a $1300 rifle.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
this is just my opinion. some of these other guys can tell you more about it than me. i purchased a wetherby mark five fiber master with a redfield ultimate illuminator 4-12 with ao adjustment for 1000 dollars. the rifle you are talking about may be worth something, but any time someone tries to sell me a simmons scope i get apprehensive. you need to post the serial number and cal of this rifle, and someone on here can probably tell you what you got. my buddy that owns a gun shop told me that when he takes a rifle on trade or buys one the scope plays little or no role in the value. he also will not stock simmons scopes he says he has gotten to many of them back in the past. you are doing the right thing by researching before purchasing that is one sure way not to get burned.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Pics would be great but for that type of money I'd say get a baseline bdl and build it up.
Simmons are relatively cheap (generally well built) scopes so it really wouldn't add much to the value in my opinion.

Wish I could be of some help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the feedback! I am awaiting the serial number and caliber. I have only had contact through email thus far and wanted to begin the preliminary research so I would know how to approach this. I am concerned as well that the scope is a simmons, but only because it seems to be a cheap scope on a nice rifle. Its like putting rabbit ears on a new HD flat screen TV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping that someone could shed some light on the "first generation" aspect of this rifle and what it means from a collectors perspective or how rare it may be. Also, what sort of other information can I use or "arm" myself with when looking at it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
You should consider the scope as having little or no value, not that Simmons scopes are bad, I have an older one on a 30-06 and I like it a lot but it's from when Simmons had them made in the Philippines, a few years back they came out with the "Master" series and I believe they are made in China now, IMO, not that good anymore. I have an older "Aetec" and it gathers light very well and is clear but it's a $150.00 scope. As far as the rifle, there are so many ways to tell but we would need to see it to verify. Post some pics if you can get some. Good luck.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts