Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally after about 500-600 rounds I have no more copper fouling my barrel on my Remington 700 SPS Tactical :)

I have been using Shooters Choice Copper Remover, and following the directions on the bottle for the cleaning procedure. My rifle shots sub MOA with out a problem and on my last range trip on 1-28-11 I pushed 50 rounds down the tube of 175 SMK's and still no trace of copper. Over time I cant really say how fast it will foul but Im running around 100-150 rounds and no signs of copper. I have been cleaning the barrel every 100-150 rounds for copper, and on every trip cleaning the carbon. I guess this procedure is good to go for this Remmy SPS Tac.

Input is Welcome............................

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is what my barrel looks like from what pics I can take. this is after about 250-300 rounds through it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I gotta get me some of that Shooter's Choice! I looked at the end of the barrel on my 700VS the wife got me for Christmas and I thought it was rusted! Turns out it is copper fouling.
The rifle was used when she bought it, no way of knowing how used, but it looks like never had any copper removed.
One of my upcoming projects is dismantling it and giving it a complete cleaning.
Hopefully I will have the same positive results you had.
Thanks for the tip!
Dennis

·
Registered
89 Posts
KG12 and Mpro7 seem to work very well. The first couple wet patches of each show resultes. After soaking, the brush and brush w/ patch wraparound obviously come out dirty as well. Then a wet patch of copper, a dr dry patch, and a wet patch of carbon. Done. Any further patches (wet or dry) come out clean. I hear Hoppes #9 does a pretty poor job compared to the newer stuff. I'm sure the hoppes will do the trick with a bit more elbow grease. A good test of it would be to clean the carbon out with hoppes til it came clean, then run some KG12 through and see if hoppes actually did the job or not.

·
Registered
496 Posts
been using shooters choice copper fouling and carbon remover for quiet awile with good results. when i had my 6ppc using moly coated bullets the ONLY thing that worked was kroil. i still use it today. also works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts