Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KG-12 Big Bore Cleaner just did it better! I used to swear that the best copper remover was Sweet's until this morning. I bought some KG-12 to try and used it on my SPS-T that I "knew" was clean and 6 nasty patches came out of the bore. I then decided to swab the bores on the rest of my rifles and sure enough, there was residual copper in each one. I thought I was a very meticulous individual when it came to cleaning my firearms, I guess it's time to ramp up my OCD and do it right the FIRST time! You guys need to try this stuff, it's amazing!

·
Registered
190 Posts
never heard of it, where did you get it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got mine from Midway USA, there is a whole line of KG products that I am now willing to try! There is a website where they removed a huge amount of copper from a bullet and the other removers paled in comparison... Do a google search for it, I forgot what the actual site was, getting old sucks, I don't advocate anyone trying it... (getting old that is, the copper remover is a definite "must try")

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have used KG-12 Copper Remover on some guns with really good luck.

However on my Remington Model 700 SPS .308 it would not even touch the copper in that barrel. But then that barrel was an extreme case and coppered worse than anything I had ever seen.

Larry

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that Larry, I've got a rifle now that is marinating in it. The bore on my buddy's Winchester looked like it was copper plated, I don't think it was cleaned properly EVER. it shoots 5" groups (at 100 yards) and he asked me to work up some handloads to shrink them... When he dropped it off, I told him that I GUARANTEE that it will shoot better with factory loads next week. Got lots of cleaning to do, this thing was NASTY inside!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep I just did a Remington Model 7600 .270 for a guy in town here. I asked him when the last time was that it was cleaned. His reply was I don't know if it ever has been cleaned. It took some doing but I did get it clean.

Larry

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerrschmitt, that was interesting! I'm wondering why he chose KG-2. When I did my research, KG-2 is to be used as a bore polish, I'm assuming that it's almost like lapping the barrel. It also says that the bore needs to be flushed after using it. Wonder if that happened also... I'm not blaming the shooter, nor will I blame the product, I'm just wondering... I will report any issues with my usage of KG-12, as now I am going to journal my cleaning procedures, to see what effects KG-12 has. Thanks for the input!

EDIT: This is what the bottle had to say:

Hmmm... Now I am reviewing step 3. KG-4 is gun oil, while KG-2 is a mild abrasive. I didn't want to use ANY abrasives, nor any ammonia. Like I said, I will update with my results so that you guys will have some idea of what is the truth.

·
Registered
526 Posts
When it comes to cleaning a rifle, I'm in the dark and the more I read, the less I know. The barrels on the three rifles I shoot the most, don't have problems with copper fouling so I've not worried about it. My 6.4X55 fouls heavy, but it's my Deer rifle and so I don't shoot it much.

A friend of mine is a retired Chemist and a Benchrest shooter. He began making a line of gun cleaning products that work just great. ABC Firearm Products is the name of his line but I think it's just available in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts