Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My barrel was extremely fouled and I could not get it clean...Useing hopps #9 benchrest solevent I did the whole dry patch/wet patch/brush method for about 7 hours!!! I even wet patched it and let it sit over night but, in the morning it was still VERY VERY visibley foulded. So here is what worked for me... I got a bag of cotton balls, dipped them in the hopps and using a 1 piece teflon rod pushed them in the barrel. I filled the barrel from end to end making sure each cotton ball was soaked. 3 hours later I used the same rod and pushed them out followed by 1 wet/1 brush/1 dry.... cleanest ive ever seen my barrel is all i can say! hope this helps someone. chris

·
Registered
181 Posts
You might try a different solvent... I like Montana Extreme, but I have to admit to having a whole bunch of different ones. Interesting to clean a barrel and then go back with another solvent.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you can find it locally, Kroil Penetrating Oil works very well in removing fouling. I use if on my .22LR pistols and my bolt rifle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Winxp_Man said:
To Op what you mean very fouled ? carbon or copper ?
shot to kill not wound ! .22 S&W model-422---WesternField M500 20GA---.223 Remington R-15---White Oak Armament 6.8 SPC AR-15
Reminton 700 SPS Tactical .308 with HS precision Stock

Copper.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
run some copper remover. Shooters Choice is what I use and its great.

If you dont know how to proceed with how to do it just post it here and I will write my method down for you.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Be very careful if your using the method you started this post with if you use an agressive copper solvent like Barnes. They suggest not to leave it in the barrel for more then 15 to 20 minutes because it may pit the barrels surface. That wouldn't be good! :(

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
308isgreat said:
Be very careful if your using the method you started this post with if you use an agressive copper solvent like Barnes. They suggest not to leave it in the barrel for more then 15 to 20 minutes because it may pit the barrels surface. That wouldn't be good! "God keep my soldier safe in Afghanistan who is defending all of our freedoms we love!"

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 & 870 Express Noveske N4 AR-15 Ruger 10/22T
Ruger .357 Blackhawk Ruger .22 single six 3 screw Walther PPK/S Glock 21 .45

+1 and on a side note (well I just read the Hoppes part :D so I thought your running regular carbon cleaner) Hoppes Benchrest copper remover is one of the least aggressive copper removers

what I do with Shooters Choice is after all the carbon is out I then run a nylon brush trough the barrel with SC copper remover. I run the brush about 10x back and forth (I do this 2x)
Next you might want to run a really wet patch and let the SC copper remover sit in the barrel for about 5 minutes. Then take some new patches and run them through the barrel will SC copper remover on them. I do this until there is no more green patches coming out of the barrel. The green indicates that there is still copper in the barrel. I then run a few patches with some denatured alcohol on them through the barrel. The I run a few dry patches and at the end one with a tad bit of gun oil on it and it should be all good. just remember to run a dry patch down the barrel before you shoot it again to remove the access oil you might have in there.

This is the way I work on the barrel to remove copper.

Instructions say that you dont want to leave the solvent more than ten minutes in a barrel. So I just follow directions so I don't ruin the barrel. Like 308 stated the more aggressive copper remover can do damage to your barrel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts