Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I don't know if anyone here has done this type of measurement for constancy.
Using the Hornady Ogive tool measuring the ogive of just the bullet. For the sierra 175 MK the measurement for the smallest ogive was .645 and the longest was .654 will this effect shooting ? and is this and accurate way to measure bullet ogive ? or is the bullet base not a accurate flat base to go by..................

The measurements that I was able to get more constant was .650 and .645. Only one out of 31 bullets showed up at .654

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well crap forgot to mention the main part of what I'm referring to. The ogive measurement as in overall bullet length. Measuring only the bullet ogive not case ogive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The OAL and the bullet ogive are crucial in relation to you chamber.When the ogive is used in conjuction with the overall length a very accurate measurement is born.The only catch is that the reference measurement of the chamber is accurate.To make sure a chamber measurement is needed after every 500 rounds unless you are using "hot" loads.Then the chamber measurement is needed sooner.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the fact that the bullet can be longer than .650 or shorter to the bullet base, is what I'm asking about. Will this case a pressure difference ? The reason I'm asking is when I run Quick Load numbers the case being trimmed to only 2.015 will have pressure difference from 2.010, or 2.005. Now the bullet that can out to .654 will sit deeper into the case by .004 than a bullet that is .650 in length. or a bullet that is .645.

I will draw the idea on paper and post it here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For 175 SMK's are a boat tail design so the ogive measurement sometimes is tricky.Nine thousands difference is quite a lot.The best answer you might get is from the bulletsmiths at Sierra.Yes how much case is left determines a pressure change but only by a small amount.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a drawing might clear up a few things of what Im trying to say.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will give a few loads a try and see how they also chrono. Its not something that I was going to sit here and contemplate but just an idea I thought of when I was measuring the bullets for constancy. Constancy is everything in reloading I wonder how crazy the hardcore BR shooters get with their loads...................

·
Registered
526 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
I will give a few loads a try and see how they also chrono. Its not something that I was going to sit here and contemplate but just an idea I thought of when I was measuring the bullets for constancy. Constancy is everything in reloading I wonder how crazy the hardcore BR shooters get with their loads...................
If you use custom Match bullets I think that the difference would be minimized. I doubt that any BR shooters are using Sierra bullets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts