Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like odd things, so while the 783 may be a budget rifle, and kinda cheesy in stock form, I decided to use one as the base for a precision build. I received one as a gift some years back in .308, and it actually was quite an accurate gun. The barrel wasn't that great of course but it wasn't a bad rifle by any means, and lastly it was free. I decided to go with Preferred Barrel Blanks match barrel. I chose a matte stainless, 24" full bull profile, with a 5R Twist 1-10, and a thread on brake. I had them do the install on my action and received everything back in around 6 weeks. I then chose an MDT XRS Chassis, with 10 round box mag, and topped it off with a Vortex 5-25x56 Venom scope in MOA. I really prefer MRAD, but it was priced right, and I can use both, so no matter i suppose.

Now i'm just waiting and hoping for that matter to be able to actually shoot it. I had the misfortune of somehow rupturing my right thumb extensor tendon, which required they cut and transfer one from my trigger finger for the repair. My injury does speak to the ease of install with the XRS. i had it in and torqued down with one hand and a forearm in less than a minute. I'm 5 weeks post op now, and hopefully its a success, or i'll be learning to shoot lefty and replacing my collection with left bolt designs. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but could be worse. I can actually shoot lefty, I just don't prefer it. and for the sake of my Docs PA it better work out. lol, at the last check up, the Doc was out and i had to see the PA instead, and I voiced my concerns explaining i was an avid shooter to which he replied, "Your 55 years old, isn't time to grow up" " why do you need to be involved in a hobby like that at your age" I said i'm 55 not 105, and i'm sure their are many guys here far older and experienced than me in the world of guns lol. I later learned he was a left wing radical who despises firearms. Oh well there's always one fool in the crowd lol.

Heres some pics of the build. and before anyone pokes fun, I know its a dirt cheap econo action, and i'm not trying to pawn it off as a $10,000 competition platform, I did it because already had it sitting there, and i've always enjoyed the challenge of squeezing the most out of the least, and i'm curious how it will peform, and with a 308 i'm pretty sure the same build with a stock 700 action wouldn't even be measurable in the real world, either can ring steel at under a 1000 yards with minimal shooting skills.

This is my first barrel from Prefered, so If anyone has any opinions on them i'd like to hear, as at least as far a customer service standpoint they were very knowledgable on their products, and eager to offer opinions while configuring what I wanted. I even tried to see if they'd upsell me to carbon which they quickly advised against, so found them honest, and at least in my opinion other than for the cool factor, which carbon does have. aside from hunting and ease of transport with minimal shooting at one time, not much beats a good heavy steel barrel. I like to compare them with Carbon Ceramic brakes on street cars. same idea. Looks cool, but does zero for the street other wow factor. I'll keep my overweight steel bulls thank you. Speaking of weight I was surprised at the loaded weight of the gun which came in at 16.8 pounds. which a right about the same as my heavy barrel DPMS LR308.

If anyone else has done a similar build with 783 guts i'd like to hear as well.

\
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Road surface Bicycle fork

Light Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun

Automotive tire Bumper Trigger Air gun Machine gun

Bicycle part Air gun Carbon Shotgun Rim

Bumper Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Gadget

Automotive tire Trigger Bumper Automotive exterior Shotgun

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera lens Bumper Machine tool

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Asphalt Bumper Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Bumper Office equipment Automotive exterior Electronic instrument Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like odd things, so while the 783 may be a budget rifle, and kinda cheesy in stock form, I decided to use one as the base for a precision build. I received one as a gift some years back in .308, and it actually was quite an accurate gun. The barrel wasn't that great of course but it wasn't a bad rifle by any means, and lastly it was free. I decided to go with Preferred Barrel Blanks match barrel. I chose a matte stainless, 24" full bull profile, with a 5R Twist 1-10, and a thread on brake. I had them do the install on my action and received everything back in around 6 weeks. I then chose an MDT XRS Chassis, with 10 round box mag, and topped it off with a Vortex 5-25x56 Venom scope in MOA. I really prefer MRAD, but it was priced right, and I can use both, so no matter i suppose.

Now i'm just waiting and hoping for that matter to be able to actually shoot it. I had the misfortune of somehow rupturing my right thumb extensor tendon, which required they cut and transfer one from my trigger finger for the repair. My injury does speak to the ease of install with the XRS. i had it in and torqued down with one hand and a forearm in less than a minute. I'm 5 weeks post op now, and hopefully its a success, or i'll be learning to shoot lefty and replacing my collection with left bolt designs. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but could be worse. I can actually shoot lefty, I just don't prefer it. and for the sake of my Docs PA it better work out. lol, at the last check up, the Doc was out and i had to see the PA instead, and I voiced my concerns explaining i was an avid shooter to which he replied, "Your 55 years old, isn't time to grow up" " why do you need to be involved in a hobby like that at your age" I said i'm 55 not 105, and i'm sure their are many guys here far older and experienced than me in the world of guns lol. I later learned he was a left wing radical who despises firearms. Oh well there's always one fool in the crowd lol.

Heres some pics of the build. and before anyone pokes fun, I know its a dirt cheap econo action, and i'm not trying to pawn it off as a $10,000 competition platform, I did it because already had it sitting there, and i've always enjoyed the challenge of squeezing the most out of the least, and i'm curious how it will peform, and with a 308 i'm pretty sure the same build with a stock 700 action wouldn't even be measurable in the real world, either can ring steel at under a 1000 yards with minimal shooting skills.

This is my first barrel from Prefered, so If anyone has any opinions on them i'd like to hear, as at least as far a customer service standpoint they were very knowledgable on their products, and eager to offer opinions while configuring what I wanted. I even tried to see if they'd upsell me to carbon which they quickly advised against, so found them honest, and at least in my opinion other than for the cool factor, which carbon does have. aside from hunting and ease of transport with minimal shooting at one time, not much beats a good heavy steel barrel. I like to compare them with Carbon Ceramic brakes on street cars. same idea. Looks cool, but does zero for the street other wow factor. I'll keep my overweight steel bulls thank you. Speaking of weight I was surprised at the loaded weight of the gun which came in at 16.8 pounds. which a right about the same as my heavy barrel DPMS LR308.

If anyone else has done a similar build with 783 guts i'd like to hear as well.

\ View attachment 6064
View attachment 6063
View attachment 6062
View attachment 6061
View attachment 6059
View attachment 6060
View attachment 6056
View attachment 6058
View attachment 6057
View attachment 6055
That stock looks similar to the Magpul hunter, looks quite adjustable and comfortable!

Good to know about the carbon fiber, no idea it's just for show. Did you put the barrel on or have someone do it? I'm curious how it shoots vs factory form, let us know.

Similarly, I'm doing a 700 30-06, waiting on a timney trigger currently. I'm converting mine from an ADL (blind magazine) to drop magazine with Magpul magwell. I'm very impressed with the new stock and how easy it was to convert to dbm.
Sleeve Grey Pattern Tints and shades Silver
Textile Sleeve Grey Material property Beige
Automotive tire Gas Shotgun Wood Bumper
Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gas Metal
Black Air gun Machine gun Automotive tire Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually boxed up the 783 action, and shipped it out to preferred and they did the barrel install and make sure it was properly set up, I believe it was like $80 for them to do it, but in my opinion was worth it.

they shipped it back, and if I over the box, it was just a matter of sitting in the action into the XRS chassis, which being made out of aluminum, and extremely well manufactured, illuminates the need for any type of bedding. The stock had two action screws pre-installed, and literally it line right up and was screwed together and torqued in under a minute.

As for C, as they described in which I had already assumed the barrels, technically not carbon fiber, the inner portion is still steel with the rifling in it, and then the carbons wrapped around it a lot of people think a carbon fiber barrel is all carbon fiber, which is not the case as strong as it is, it’s still a glorified fiberglass type preparation and realize the same manufacturing process isn’t a lot different than that of fiberglass products, except of course the strength. If the barrel is straight carbon, the rifling would be blown out in the first shot, as is as strong as far as tensile strength goes yet easily, damaged or short, bob jacks, her lateral blows.

So what happens is after a couple shots that thin inner steel tube heats very quickly, and then is insulated with the carbon wrap that’s holding the heat in. I am retired from alarm force, but I still have a lot of contacts, and well those fads were nonexistent years back, even today he will find any law-enforcement agencies or military use of carbon barrels. And I sell is the equivalent of trying to spend the day at a range with lightweight hunting profile steel barrel. They get hot and then they’re toast for a half hour or so.

I have done a long range seminar and used my 2308 AR platforms one was an original DPMS precision, LR 308 with a 24 inch ball barrel, and the other in an expensive palmetto state 308 with a regular medium duty barrel. I started with the palmetto state gun and managed 10 shots and then couldn’t hit anything past 100 yards or even 100 for that matter. It literally was off the paper that 100 yards and if you grab the barrel it would burn you, and that’s just tin round mind of 308 and they cool for 30 minutes and you manage another 10 rounds, the DPM S on the other hand I shout out to 600 yards with three rows and a few more at seven and then five or six more at 800. Then for kicks I empty to 20 round mag as fast as I could this to see if I could get a hot and amazingly, I was still able to grab it hold onto the barrel and the gun lost no accuracy.
Carbon on the other hand really is good if you want something light weight for hunting when you’re only taking a shot or two as it’s still a rigid barrel and very accurate, I just can’t handle heat. But some people get UPSAHL on stuff that they don’t know about her name because it looks cool and that’s how like my friend do you wind up with a 6000+ dollar gun, that’s good for five rounds. Yeah there’s something wrong and the barrel got so hot you couldn’t hit paper at 100 yards with a 300 win mag lol. There was another guy there with apparently more money than brains who had an accuracy international chassis with a 6.5 Creedmoor set up and again a fancy carbon barrel , he had to head 10,000 invest in this thing by the time you took into account the $5000 optic And custom graphics in assorted trinkets. I got a very beautiful gun but if you rounds I got hot and worthless.
I like your magazine conversion that’s always a must as nothing more annoying than the handicap of three or four rounds, as magazines are so much more convenient.
The XRS does kind of resembles a Magpul although the XRS is actually made of aluminum believe it or not what is that. And they are one of the few that make a 783 version. The stock also came with two different grip configurations, an extra place to adjust the pool, and before hand is actually capable of supporting, I believe up to a barrel of 1.5” diameter or more. I picked up right around $500 which is on par with so many other companies out there. It doesn’t break the bank.

question for you. Can any 700 be converted to magazine feed or just the ADL?

·
Registered
26 Posts
question for you. Can any 700 be converted to magazine feed or just the ADL?
Yeah, $80 is definitely worth it.

Yes. Mine was an ADL, I put a Magpul magazine/magwell and trigger guard into a Bell and Carlson BDL stock. There was little trimming to fit everything, two screw holes needed 1/16" touch up.
If you watch videos of the conversion, the short action rifles need a lot more trimming vs long action (which is what I have) and the magazine/magwell need trimming as well, my magwell needed nothing modified to fit perfectly.

The trigger guard, internal box mag spring, and mag box just unscrewed and tossed. You will probably need longer action screws, mine did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes. Mine was an ADL, I put a Magpul magazine/magwell and trigger guard into a Bell and Carlson BDL stock. There was little trimming to fit everything, two screw holes needed 1/16" touch up.
If you watch videos of the conversion, the short action rifles need a lot more trimming vs long action (which is what I have) and the magazine/magwell need trimming as well, my magwell needed nothing modified to fit perfectly.

The trigger guard, internal box mag spring, and mag box just unscrewed and tossed. You will probably need longer action screws, mine did.
I’m interested in doing another build based on the 700 action this time. I was on GunBroker earlier, is a ton of use stuff out there in very good condition and very reasonable prices for both short action, as well as long action.
I was also considering one of the McMillan stocks, and one of the magnum cartridges out there. I haven’t really shop ammo lately, but I know the bigger rooms can get pricey. I have a brand new Vergara B14 HMR. chambered in 300 win mag. Sadly in the year I’ve owned it I got to shoot it.
The price of 300 is really out there, and considering how inexpensive match three elite is, it’s hard to justify $90-$100 for a 20 round box of top quality match WinMag.

While, searching gunbroker.com, I also found quite a few brand new Remington 700 actions by themselves. They had a 7mm PRC set up complete with receiver, bolt, and even the factory adjustable trigger. Not a bun 700 stuff so I don’t know they’re good pricey set ups average between three and six hundred dollars with the 7 mm set up I described for approximately $530, and and for $380 you get the same thing, but just chambered in the far more economical 308, Winchester/762x51

I report back with a review of 783 hopefully this coming weekend providing my and it is in better shape. i’ve got a good idea. It’s going to ship pretty well. Even the gun and its start form with a wimpy 22 inch almost pencil barrel is surprisingly pretty darn accurate out-of-the-box. Of course after a few rounds in some heat it was useless lol

i I can’t imagine with the new super heavy hand fitted match barrel that the performance will be anything less than stellar. That said, I guess we will soon see!, now, I just gotta stock up on some good, 168 or 175 grain match grade ammo. Another benefit of freeway it is you don’t have to look too hard to find deals on it as it’s so common.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Before I bought the XRS, the only other stock I could find to fit the 783, what is the wooden boyds varmint. And that was a disaster as they’re claim if not, right in, is a joke. XRS drops right in. The Boyd’s required all kinds of trimming, plus had to be bedded, then this supposed drop in claim was further proving falls by the fact that the stock action screws and absolutely no way of reaching the threads, it was totally useless.

I searched high and low for longer screws, however, Remington and their illogical wisdom does not use the same actions screw thread size is 700. Which is common and still widely in use.

Thread pitch on 783 dates back to the Stone Age, and just a stock screws are almost impossible to find in stock anywhere let alone extended versions that simply don’t exist.

I ended up trying to drill the holes, a bit deeper and audibly got it to fit, but I have to give the company a complete zero with a train wreck of a stock. One of their other stocks look really pretty, but if installation is anything like the 783 was id never own one again. In the end, when the XRS arrived at through the boyds in the woodpile lol.

I’ll keep you posted on how the thing perform’s once I make it out to the range. Hopefully my hand will continue to improve, and by the Weeknd perhaps my hand will be up for some shooting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Before I bought the XRS, the only other stock I could find to fit the 783, what is the wooden boyds varmint. And that was a disaster as they’re claim if not, right in, is a joke. XRS drops right in. The Boyd’s required all kinds of trimming, plus had to be bedded, then this supposed drop in claim was further proving falls by the fact that the stock action screws and absolutely no way of reaching the threads, it was totally useless.

I searched high and low for longer screws, however, Remington and their illogical wisdom does not use the same actions screw thread size is 700. Which is common and still widely in use.

Thread pitch on 783 dates back to the Stone Age, and just a stock screws are almost impossible to find in stock anywhere let alone extended versions that simply don’t exist.

I ended up trying to drill the holes, a bit deeper and audibly got it to fit, but I have to give the company a complete zero with a train wreck of a stock. One of their other stocks look really pretty, but if installation is anything like the 783 was id never own one again. In the end, when the XRS arrived at through the boyds in the woodpile lol.

I’ll keep you posted on how the thing perform’s once I make it out to the range. Hopefully my hand will continue to improve, and by the Weeknd perhaps my hand will be up for some shooting.
I ended up getting new ones through eBay, they're intentionally longer by a huge margin, which is fine. The issue is the 1/4 - 28 screw doesn't have a normal head, any hardware store has them but the head is enormous. Expect to pay $15-30 for a replacement set of screws.

After seeing the Bell and Carlson stock side by side with the factory one, I'm shocked how cheap the Remington one is. A lot of those aftermarket stocks have some kind of aluminum frame or something else to make them nice and rigid. That sucks your replacement stock needed so much work to make it fit.

There are a few videos on what needs to be done to convert a drop box magazine. If you have a Dremel, easy-peazy. Definitely worth looking into an old 700 and building a semi custom rifle, the price of ammo being the limiting factor. I have a 375h&h and a 300 RUM, neither gets fed very often since ammo is $75+ and my shoulder feels it for a few days after. For big bore/magnum calibers, it's more economical to stick with a Winchester something or other caliber, seems 300/338 win mag ammo is still very reasonable.

Keep us posted on how that rifle shoots.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I ended up getting new ones through eBay, they're intentionally longer by a huge margin, which is fine. The issue is the 1/4 - 28 screw doesn't have a normal head, any hardware store has them but the head is enormous. Expect to pay $15-30 for a replacement set of screws.

After seeing the Bell and Carlson stock side by side with the factory one, I'm shocked how cheap the Remington one is. A lot of those aftermarket stocks have some kind of aluminum frame or something else to make them nice and rigid. That sucks your replacement stock needed so much work to make it fit.

There are a few videos on what needs to be done to convert a drop box magazine. If you have a Dremel, easy-peazy. Definitely worth looking into an old 700 and building a semi custom rifle, the price of ammo being the limiting factor. I have a 375h&h and a 300 RUM, neither gets fed very often since ammo is $75+ and my shoulder feels it for a few days after. For big bore/magnum calibers, it's more economical to stick with a Winchester something or other caliber, seems 300/338 win mag ammo is still very reasonable.

Keep us posted on how that rifle shoots.
Thanks! The pitch on the 783 and only the 783 are the obsolete 1/4-32. Fortunately, the XRS came with its own set, and the nice thing is they're preinstalled so they cannot fall out of the chassis, so the install is simply letting them up, which when I attempted to do so, and it wouldn’t stuck through my fist, whereas the XRS is so precise, they literally preposition of cells and I merely apply the proper torque to complete. I actually was amazed, as usual cases used in 10 minutes, trying to line up the screws to avoid the chance of stripping it well like this case, then again, considering the chassis it as much money as the whole gun was for Remington. I guess there should be some expectation of quality lol.
Thanks again for sharing your set up as I’m always interested in seeing the work of other people as well as the bonus of learning something you didn’t know before along the way. I’ll be in touch soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts