Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to this forum but a longtime 700 owner. I have just purchased a new SPS Tactical in .308 and haven't had a chance to get to the range. Uncle Sam needs me at work so I will have to wait. Been serving in the Army for 14 years, had a few dates overseas in my "World Tour" schedule. Hope to get this rifle (and shooter) out to the range and try to match your tiny shot groups.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Robo said:
Hello all, I am new to this forum but a longtime 700 owner. I have just purchased a new SPS Tactical in .308 and haven't had a chance to get to the range. Uncle Sam needs me at work so I will have to wait. Been serving in the Army for 14 years, had a few dates overseas in my "World Tour" schedule. Hope to get this rifle (and shooter) out to the range and try to match your tiny shot groups.
First of all thank you for you service to our country and next a hearty welcome to this forum. I have a son currently on his second tour in Afghanistan serving in the Army....Hooah! I know what it's like to have a new weapon and not have time to take it out for its first feeding. I have the same rifle and your going to have alot of fun with it. For a production rifle the accuracy out of the box is amazing! There are so many mods and parts for these rifles that it can seem like an endless project, but a fun one at that. Enjoy this forum....there are alot of knowledgable and friendly members here to help out if needed. Keep us informed on the SPS Tac when you get it to the range time permitting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I own a Robar SR 90 in .300 WM, an LTR in .308, and now this one. Can you tell that I am partial to the .308 bore? I haven't run across any animal on this continent that has not been put down by a properly placed bullet in a lesser quality caliber, so I figure that I will stick to what I am familiar with. I own a couple of Ruger 10/22's, Winchester 94, Browning Auto-5 (Sweet 16), Winchester 101 O/U, I am a hunter that TRIES not to hoard. My SR 90 has one-holed 5 shots a couple of times, the LTR's best group landed at .404", I'm hoping that the SPS-T will keep them inside of .5". As for mods, I am not sure that I am comfortable with the stock touching the barrel (although I have seen evidence that it REALLY isn't much of an issue), I am just paranoid about it affecting the grouping. Looking into a H&S Precision stock, I am aware of the politics involved with the company but I have had no issue with the product. Not really sure if that last statement makes me a bad American or not, I just don't care about political leanings other than my own.

I hope that your son makes it back home safe and sound, please remember, some scars aren't seen. If he needs to vent, let me know.

·
Registered
639 Posts
G'day mate and welcome. Hope the aussie blokes over seas arnt to much of a hassle for ya. Its our speciality. I have the SPS Tactical with a HS Stock and it shoots really well. I mean sub 0.25MOA groups a few times. Its beautiful and nice to use. You can get a 700P take of from TacOps in Cal. The bloke who owns it is a stand up guy and always ready to help a fellow shooter. I dont have his details but he usually has a few stocks laying around.

The 30cal realm of bullets and alike really is IMHO the most vertsile group in the world. Nothing that round wont kill, or put down. I have 2x 308s, 303 and 7.62x54R. And I'll be building a 300WM, and will also be getting more service rifles as I am a collector.

Post some pics of the SR90. They are darn nice rifles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Robo said:
Welcome to the forum, and as stated...thank you for your dedication to our Country. "Tiny shot groups" are made pretty easy with the 700...she is pretty darn accurate right out of the box.
I read all kinds of BS on the net prior to purchasing mine... heard... "they are terribly out of spec"... "action needs trued"....and the like.
Nothing could be farther from the truth... I had my new 700 checked out by my gunsmith...and she was right on from the factory.
Be safe over there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NBT, I appreciate the warm words of gratitude for what I do, I enjoy it and couldn't imagine doing anything else.

As for the M700, I have owned a few rifles and none were as consistent with the varied ammunition that I fed them as the Remington 700. Cheap, old, Military surplus, these rifles hit what you aim at more times than not. Tomorrow morning, I'm running some American Eagle 150 gr. FMJ and Winchester 180 gr. Silvertips through it to see what it can do right out of the box.

I probably will make this my hunting/ friendly wager earning rifle, as I have a really good buddy (from U.S. Army Sniper School days) that I compete with just to keep our reloading and shooting skills sharp. His 5R is getting sub- .5" groups from FGMM, and .25" from handloads, I need one more rifle to take more of the taxpayers money from his wallet, wish me luck! :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Robo said:
NBT, I appreciate the warm words of gratitude for what I do, I enjoy it and couldn't imagine doing anything else.

As for the M700, I have owned a few rifles and none were as consistent with the varied ammunition that I fed them as the Remington 700. Cheap, old, Military surplus, these rifles hit what you aim at more times than not. Tomorrow morning, I'm running some American Eagle 150 gr. FMJ and Winchester 180 gr. Silvertips through it to see what it can do right out of the box.

I probably will make this my hunting/ friendly wager earning rifle, as I have a really good buddy (from U.S. Army Sniper School days) that I compete with just to keep our reloading and shooting skills sharp. His 5R is getting sub- .5" groups from FGMM, and .25" from handloads, I need one more rifle to take more of the taxpayers money from his wallet, wish me luck! :D
Your SPS Tactical should be capable of shooting groups like the 5R. Hope you hand it to him and make him lighter in the wallet! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure that I can group them better than him, I just need to get a calm day to fire at the range. Those days are few and in-between here. Hopefully they'll be calm enough this weekend to group some shots! Last weekend was a terrible shooting experience for the SPS-T, but my son blazed up some .22LR from my 10/22, so it really wasn't a waste of time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts