Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a Remington 700 30-06 carbine that had been sitting in a relatives closet for 30+ years. I didn’t think anything of it until I took it to a gun smith for a general inspection and he tried hard to buy it from me...even tried to trade me any of the brand new rifles he had in his shop for it. I haven't been able to find out anything about this rifle online. Is there are resource that can tell me when it was made or anything else about it?

When did Remington start producing model 700 30-06 carbines, are there any identifying marks or serial number ranges I should look for?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Posting pics and a the first few of the serial would help in my googlefu efforts. Or you can just mail me the rifle, and not vet have to worry about what it is or isn't again ;) j/k but pics would help.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Carbine model 700 ADL started production in 1962 according to my old Blue Book. It had a 20 inch barrel and is valued 20 % higher than standard models.

This book has often been wrong so don't bet the farm on it. The prices listed in it are way out of date since it was published in 1997.

·
Registered
277 Posts
SSGGunBunny said:
I inherited a Remington 700 30-06 carbine that had been sitting in a relatives closet for 30+ years. I didn’t think anything of it until I took it to a gun smith for a general inspection and he tried hard to buy it from me...even tried to trade me any of the brand new rifles he had in his shop for it. I haven't been able to find out anything about this rifle online. Is there are resource that can tell me when it was made or anything else about it?

When did Remington start producing model 700 30-06 carbines, are there any identifying marks or serial number ranges I should look for?

RUN, don't walk, back to that guy and take him up on it. The trade that is. Make him pony up on his word - hand that thing over and walk out with a new 700! Just don't get another 30-06 - either .243, .308 or .300WM will be a great start.

Unless you're just attatched to it for personal/family reasons, it's just an old used gun. Not a million dollar seller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts