Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on a new optic for my normal patrol rifle. It's a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 T, with the extended quad rail, free floating barrel, and Troy BUIS sights both front and rear. I've had it decked out with all the Magpul stuff and have been running a Trijicon Tripower (good sight, but I want some magnification for more precision shots. I'm looking at either a Trijicon ACOG (either the TA33R-8 in 3X or the 4X TA31CH), or the Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5, and I'm considering the Nightforce compact 1-4. I want something that I can do decent CQB stuff with, but I want great accuracy - MOA at 100 - with a 16 inch barrel. Any advice from anyone who has experience with using these sights on an AR platform would be appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can not comment on the sights you are referring to, but can tell you what I use.

I have a 16" Bushmaster M4 Optics Ready Carbine. It is my personal AR but I carry it in my Patrol Vehicle every single day. In addition I have to qualify with it once a year.

Since it is my personal gun I also use it for Hunting Coyotes and other varmints of opportunity. As such I too wanted some magnification.

I choose a Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5x4.5x32mm Firefly Riflescope. The field of view on 1.5X is quite good and I have not experienced any problems even when qualifying at 5 yards. Still on 4.5x it is 3/4 MOA AR with the ammo I use. Also on 4.5x I have taken quite a few Coyotes with the longest shots being about 250 yards.

By simply shining my flashlight into the eyepiece of the Bushnell Firefly the outter two sections of the crosshairs glo a nice soft green. Shining the flashlight into the eyepiece for a minute will result in the crosshairs being illuminated for over 30 minutes.

I realize this scope is not for everyone but serves my purposes quite well. As for the magnification range, for what I do with my AR I feel it is about as close to perfect as I could get for what I wanted. If I could have a 1.5x6x40mm with the same reticle I'd be even more happy.

Larry

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ridgerunner, those scopes look great. If mounted further ahead on the rail, can you co-witness when it is on 1.1 power? That's my biggest issue with the MK4 1.5-5... the 1.5 power may make it a little dicey when trying to use the buis.

I have also looked at the Burris XTR compact with the red dot sight. That would be a good option too. Either way, I'll probably use the La Rue SPR mount.

·
Registered
44 Posts
EOTech's are great for patrol and are half as much as ACOG's. I know at my department, one will most likely never be involved in a situation that will require a shot over 50 yards, much less 100. It's just too dangerous to take a shot at 100 yards with an AR in the environment I work. As far as getting something that will allow a MOA at 100 yards, you should be able to do that (or at least pretty close to that) with using the open sights on an AR.

If I didn't already have a perfect setup, I'd consider the following. Aimpoint Micro with an Aimpoint 3x Maginifier. And I would mount the magnifier on a LaRue pivot mount. This is the ultimate patrol setup, IMO. It'll get a little pricey, but you get the best of both worlds. CQB and comfortable longer shots.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been posting over on snipershide, getting different opinions. Today, I ended up ordering a Trijicon ACOG TA33R-H with the red horseshoe reticle. I've used Eotechs quite a bit and I think they're awesome, but I'm pretty dead set on having something that is battery free. If I was certain that I wouldn't have to engage anything past 50-75 yards, I would be all over the Eotechs if it weren't for the battery thing. I don't think there's a faster CQB optic for an AR platform than the Eotechs. Eotech plus magnifier is a ton of money and that's also a ton of weight on there.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. When I order something cool, I become like a 10 year old... come tuesday, I'll probably go home from work early and sit on my porch, waiting on UPS... as I play with my action figures.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I bust out the G.I Joe action figure then John Wayne and ........................................... well it just gets creative afterward hahahah

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In all actuality, I'll come home on tuesday, and find that my stuff has arrived, and I'll start to mess around with it and my wife will say, "Just because you got some more toys, doesn't mean you have a free pass to do whatever you want tonight." So then I'll put my sad face on and help with dinner, help put the baby to bed, help clean up... then when everyone is asleep... I GET TO PLAY!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My long range rifle carries a Bushnell Elite 4200 but my patrol gun is a Noveske/LMT and I use the T1 Aimpoint with 3x mag because its a SBR. I had a TA-33 I liked but dont take too many shots over 100 meters

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do you like the aimpoint magnf combo? Is it a flip to side mount on the x3 mag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
PALADIN said:
How do you like the aimpoint magnf combo? Is it a flip to side mount on the x3 mag.
- SPS Tactical .308 / M&P 15T / Remington 870 Tactical / Glock 22 .40 -
_____
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present. - Marcus Aurelius
works great for me, the 3x mount is the FTS Larue its secure and out of the way unless I need it.
I used an M4 on it originally but it was just too heavy for a 10.5in set up so I traded for the T1, which I love

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I have a mp15t with a eotech 3x flip to side magnifier and eotech optic. I love the combo it's quick target acquisition at 100 yards or at 10yards. I trust this setup with my life and know that you can put it through the ringer without worry.
Just my .2 cents

Btw, flip the magnifier to the side when the battery dies, bring up your irons and you still will have an effective rifle. I try to "co witness" my shots every now and then for practice

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like a good setup. I run the 15T and love that rifle. Not sure if there is a better production AR out there.
I received my 105 mount from La Rue today. Took them about 2 business days from Texas to Kansas. Great service. Maybe they do it for everyone but they threw some goodies in the box... a "tactical" beer entry tool, some meat rub for smoking/grilling and some cool bumper stickers I'm sure most of us have seen. Great service from them and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for gear. The La Rue guy I talked to over the phone to order it seemed pretty solid and had me do a pretty funny over the phone test for the LEO discount. He then asked me about the Westbro Baptist Church (seeing I was from KS) and we proceeded to BS about how someone needs to kill them the next time they protest someone's funeral. Last week, I guess they were going to protest at the funeral of the little girl who was killed during the mass shooting in AZ. I've never heard someone in customer service say, "Someone needs to murder those fucks" over the phone. Was pretty funny. Anyway... that's a solid company.

·
Registered
44 Posts
LaRue is definitely top notch and not too far from my house...about 10 miles. STI is a stone's throw away from me as well. I am surrounded by some pretty solid companies, which makes it difficult to put money into the savings account every month rather than spending it on gun stuff.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I get that. If I lived where you live, I'd be filing Chapter 11.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts