Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After purchasing my 700 SPS .308 I have been trying to decide what I want to do with it and have a few questions.

Anyone have a recommendation for a pistol grip stock that is fairly priced around $200 range?

I have a buddy that will mount and bed the stock when I get it who has a lot of experience in doing so.

I plan on adding a detachable magazine setup anyone have a reccomendation on a setup that works well and is fairly priced as well?

I know what I am looking for in regard to scope and rings as well as the bipod as they are ones I have used before and feel that work well for me.

Lastly, can anyone give me a good solid reason why I should or should not go with a pistol grip stock?

Thanks all, I look forward to your reccommendations!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I like the regular stock for bolt guns......... and of course for AR's you gotta have the pistol grip not the CA grip less stock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winxp,

If I decide to go with the regular stock, could the stock that came with the rifle be bedded as good as an aftermarket stock? My friend has experience bedding 50 or so stocks for his collection of rifles, his son's and some other friends. He showed me how he can float the barrel and bed the stock from the tang back.

He is hyper about accuracy and I have seen him shoot his rifles before with extreme accuracy all of which he bedded on his own. I trust him a lot in regard to weapons.

Luckily, he also offered to show me how to re-load if I wanted on his equipment and offered to teach me as long as I buy the supplies and stick with his reccommendations at first until we fine tune the load for my rifle. Of course, he reccommends that once we find the perfect load to always stick with it.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The regular stocks that come with the rifles are not that great. Reason being is once you free float them they usually are really flexible. I would look for a nice HS Precision take off stock and call it a day. One thing you can do to a HS stock is skim bed it. They usually come with a aluminum bed but the recoil lug sits there kinda loose. So skim bed the full length of the action and about 1 inch past the recoil lug. I can PM you info on how to skim bed the HS aluminum bedded stocks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a HS Police stock and havent bedded it and it shoots fine but I have a SPS Tactical with heavy barrel, your normal SPS may not behave the same. Look into a Choate aswell, they are good value for money, but a tad heavy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use both Pistol grip and standard style stocks on my Remingtons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts