Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Just getting in to long rage precision shooting.

I recently purchased a 700 SPS-V in 308 Win. I swapped out the original stock with an HS Precision Pro series - otherwise it's factory original.

So it's a 26" heavy barrel 1:12 RH twist.

I have just ordered a bunch of stuff to start reloading for precision shooting and would appreciate any pointers or suggestions that you may have.

I'm going to start with Sierra Match King bullets 168 gn. HPBT; Lapua brass; Alliant RL-15 powder and CCI bench rest primers.

I figure that I'll start with .020" gap from bullet to lands and keep that consistent and try different charge weights. Is it ok to check this at 100 yards, or do I need to use a longer range? It's easy for me to get to a 100 yd. range - not as easy to get to one with 200 and 300 yd.

Once I find the sweet spot for charge weight - then try varying the bullet-to-lands gap;

Anyone else shooting a similar setup? Or have sage advice on what to work on first?

Thanks.
-Paul

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sounds to me like you've done your homework. Once you find a good load at 100 you can move it out farther. Just don't be surprised if your great 100 yard load fails to perform at longer ranges. Happens sometimes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What jerrschmidtt said. Let us know how you go Paul. A lot of 1000 yard shooters have to use a chronograph.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey mate, if you havent already, grab a chrony, and a decent one. Iy you wnat to either handload or shoot accurately at long range, YOU NEED ONE!!! This is to ensure you get the drop chart correct and that is vital.

Also, if you wnat to get a decent 1000yd load, have a look at the 175gr Match loads such as Remington Premier Match and the US Military's M118LR load. If they shoot at around 0.5MOA in your rifle you are off to a good start. I consider long range over 500m, medium range is 200 - 500 and short is 0 - 200. A load that works at 100 - 200m may not work at 800 - 1000m.

Also, the 168gr SMK was designed for 300m BR comps and while it performs super well at 0 - 600m, beyond that unless it is supersonic, you will have accuracy issues. Running 155gr Match or 175gr Match loads will improve your chances but certain 155gr bullets like slow twists and long barrels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for your input.

Sounds like a chronograph is going to be a must - which is OK, I haven't purchased one to measure power factor for my Cowboy Action loads, but it will be nice to have for that also.

The rifle club that I am joining has 300 yd. ranges available all the time - and 500 yd. on a limited basis. So 500 yd. is going to be the maximum distance available to me (for now). So I'll start with the 168 gr SMK, recognizing that I will probably need to use a 175 gr for anything much further.

Of course, like everyone else interested in long range precision shooting - I'd like to work my way up to 1,000 yards/meters - but I'm in no hurry. I have a lot to learn before I need to shoot further than 500 yards (and I expect every inch of it to be fun).

Any chronos you would recommend for purchase (or to stay away from)?

I'll post some updates of my progress and no doubt some more questions along the way.
-Paul

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a Shooting Chrony Beta Master. It works well. The CED2 is good but look at 250 USD for that. The Beta Master is about 130 - 140 USD.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Paul,
About 1000 yard accuracy. The twist in your barrel will handle 155 gn bullets for sure. However, you may need a 30" barrel to get the velocity to stay supersonic at 1000. I'm sur there would be long range clubs in the US. Try to talk to them before working up loads. For acceptable elevation you will need a muzzle velocity spread of no more than 35fps. As for a chrony, I'm looking for a good one myself, so will look into Quick's advice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use 42.0 gr. rel 15 168gr smk 26" in barell best group @100 yds .317 @300 yds 1.72 have only
300 yd range avail. as well, the 168's will not stay supersonic @ 1000 yds,I have been told the
175 smk will however.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey Paul, I second the motion on 42 grains of RL-15 with the 168 grain SMK. Also, with the 175 grain SMK, 43.1 grains of RL-15 will duplicate the M118LR sniper loading the Marines use, and it is very accurate all the way out as is 43 grains of Varget.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts