Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the day on my back yard range today. Wasn't going to but one of the guys going on the shoot with us brought over a rifle and wanted me to sight it in for him. He has to work and just didn't have the time. The rifle belongs to his nephew and was brand new. It's a Rock River 20” Varmint A4. He had a 3-9X BSA scope on it and a Harris bipod.

Not impressed with the 3-9X scope, I replaced it with a 6-24 BSA. Not a great scope either but I had used it last year on a 17HMR and it worked out well. I am impressed with the rifle. It's a beauty and shoots very well using factory ammo. It has a 20” heavy barrel and I wish I had time to work up some loads for it. I had no trouble shooting ¾ MOA groups that the factory guarantees with Factory ammo. I'm sure that I could work up some real tack driver loads if I had a little more time.

I also played with my CZ 452 Varmint .22LR.

Looking through the scope, you can see my little Prairie Dog target way down range at 150 yards. It's a far poke for a .22LR but the CZ will hit it every time.

·
Registered
795 Posts
That's a nice AR! I like RRA stuff... very good quality.

What kind of rest do you have on that AR? I'm having issues getting a steady enough rest using a Caldwell rear bag. I think the shape of the stock just doesn't allow it to work as well as it does with a more standard "rifle" stock.

It looks like this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=718994

I think that type of bag you have under the stock of the AR would work better. What kind is that front rest?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SemperFi said:
That's a nice AR! I like RRA stuff... very good quality.

What kind of rest do you have on that AR? I'm having issues getting a steady enough rest using a Caldwell rear bag. I think the shape of the stock just doesn't allow it to work as well as it does with a more standard "rifle" stock.

It looks like this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=718994

I think that type of bag you have under the stock of the AR would work better. What kind is that front rest?
The rest and bags were made by Hoppe's but I don't see them on their web site any more. They're old and I seldom use them any more but that RRA stock has a built in sling swivel on the rear that won't fit on my good bag and the handguard is knurled which tears the front bag with each shot. The Hoppe's bag allows the rifle to roll around too much but it's good enough for Pdog shoots.

My favorite is this Caldwell Rock BR with the Sinclair speed screw. If that RRA was mine I'd have to change the stock for shooting off the bench.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts