Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after the Timney trigger install and lightening the pull to about 2 to 2.5 lbs. it made a great difference in the groupings. The two pics are out of the SPS Tactical .308 and the best 3 shot came in at .268". I was shooting my reloads which were...Winchester case, CCI #200 primer, 168 SMK, 43gr. RL15 with a COAL of 2.800".

I pulled one a bit because the light trigger pull caught me by suprise!

This was the best group after a few 3 shot groups...practice helps a bit....lol!

Overall a good day at Sac Valley and weather was perfect.

·
Registered
109 Posts
NICE! I'm going to try RL15 after I use up this Varget. What led you to RL15, versus other powders? I've heard alot about it and 4064, haven't tested anything but Varget in my SPS Tac.

·
Registered
190 Posts
rel 15 is my favorite as well, only I use 42.0 grs, most accurate 308 powder I have ever used my
best 3 shot group so far .317 :D by the way great shooting!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks alot for bringing up the Timney trigger, 308. By posting pics of groups like that, you have just cost me another $150.00! I'm telling my wife it's your fault, not mine! LOL

Great Shooting!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RBoomK said:
Thanks alot for bringing up the Timney trigger, 308. By posting pics of groups like that, you have just cost me another $150.00! I'm telling my wife it's your fault, not mine! LOL

Great Shooting!
Boomer.....If we were next door neighbors that may pose a problem, however with many miles between us there will be little to no fallout from you telling your wife!....LOL! Ohhhh what the hell if you want me to smooth things over with her she can give me a call and take some of the heat off of your inevitable Timney purchase! He he he! :D By the way thanks for the kudos.....it's nice to have a rifle that shoots alot better then the shooter as you well know my friend!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dratt1957 said:
rel 15 is my favorite as well, only I use 42.0 grs, most accurate 308 powder I have ever used my
best 3 shot group so far .317 :D by the way great shooting!
You know to be honest I have not worked up too many loads for this rifle past the RL15 recipe above because it shoots so well. I am looking at working with other powders such as Varget and even reduce the RL15 to 42gr. like you and compare the results @ 100 and 200 yds. Makes sense to use the least amount of powder and maintain accuracy just for punching paper at these distances.

Robo...RL15 was recommended by an older friend of mine who has been shooting and reloading longer then i have been alive. His advice has been valuable in getting me on the right path in reloading. I see that you have caught the reloading and 700 fever too!

Quaid....I appreciate your kudos as well from the other side of the globe!

·
Registered
120 Posts
If and when you run out of RL-15, the same charge weight, 42 grains of Varget is also a very accurate load. I use the 42 grains of RL-15 load also, but was loading one day and ran out of RL-15 and changed to Varget and kept loading. The 42 grains of Varget is just a little more accurate in my rifle.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
190 Posts
thornblom said:
If and when you run out of RL-15, the same charge weight, 42 grains of Varget is also a very accurate load. I use the 42 grains of RL-15 load also, but was loading one day and ran out of RL-15 and changed to Varget and kept loading. The 42 grains of Varget is just a little more accurate in my rifle.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
isn't it strange, how two rifles can be so much the same. but so different.My 700 hates varget
cant find a load it likes. it also doesn't like blc-2 or 748 or benchmark, it's been frustrating!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice shooting. My 20" gun likes 43gr Varget with 175smk or 178 amax at 2.260 ogive. For 168's I used RL15 43.4 2.260 Ogive as well.

Shoot 5.

Hardmix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts