Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for pictures of people's set-ups. As in, what you have it mounted to and how.

I've seen a Dillon Super 1050 in person (absolutely huge) as well as a 650B mounted. I live in a medium sized apartment with no garage, so a built-in table is obviously out of the question. I currently have my single stage mounted to a modified Skil X-Bench, but I'm not really sure if this is going to cut it. My other viable option is building a small wooden bench and weigh it down with concrete blocks or something.

As for type, I've been looking at the Hornady Lock-n-Load AP for at least a year now, and will probably be buying it soon. I researched over and over and over the pros and cons between the Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, and Lee, and for me and my needs the Hornady looks to be on top. Obviously like everything else, each brand has it's die-hard followers, so finding non-biased opinions can sometimes be difficult.

Which brings me to question #2, what did you go with and why?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I had a lockand load ap. It's a beauty but it's expensive and if accuracy is your goal I'd stick to single stage. I was even loading single stage on it. The only convenient thing was leaving all the dies set in place (if you only load one caliber). The ap is really for pistol rounds or rifle rounds if accuracy isn't a concern.

I too am in a apartment. I have a 3 shelf book case that's about 4 ft high and 3 feet wide. I store everything on the shelfs, and everything I use machine wise is bolted to the top of it (rcbs single stage, Hornandy trimmer, rcbs uniflow)

So really the questions are
1. Quantity or quality (end result of ammo)
2. What caliber(s) are you wanting to load
3. What do you really have space for without things getting cluttered on your work station?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accuracy is not my goal, thankfully. My goal is to load as much .223 as possible for volume shooting. It's difficult enough loading 250 rounds on my single stage, let alone trying to do 5,000. I have found some places where I can buy bulk Hornady 55gr FMJs for $.05/rd, and I'd go with a cheap bulk powder (WC735 - $8-10/lb). After my math is done, I'm able to load .223 for $.13/rd.

I'd continue to load .308 on my single stage, as that most definitely is accuracy based. Eventually when I move to a free state and get a couple pistols again, I'd be loading for them as well.

As for space, I currently have about 4'x4' of work space. I could probably easily expand. Your L-n-L fits on the top of that bookcase? Is it MDF or some sort of solid wood? I'm just worried with how bulky it is having the mounting bolts shred anything that's not very solid.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
No, I no longer have the l-n-l, it was a joint purchase between my brother and I and that deal went sour quick so I had him buy me out of my investment in it. Afterwards I was going to buy another one but decided a single stage was all I needed. With the l-n-l you need a steady surface. It's tall and heavy. You could use mdf and make a stand for it just by some metal L brackets to brace the top shelf (2 - 150lb brackets would be ideal) . For bulk then the l-n-l is a cut above the rest. The only downside to the rotation system is you have to complete a full cycle (lever up/down) or it will throw the disc out of sync. Another small hiccup was the primer setup. If you don't press the primer deep enough into the pocket the case I'll get suck half way through the cycle and becomes a b!&!h to get it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dillon 650, but I only load 9mm on that for now. I shoot 1000+ 9mm per month, so that came first. I will hopefully start .308 on it soon enough. I can easily load 1000 9mm in just under 3 hours

·
Registered
38 Posts
I took a couple 2x4s and build a base for the table, think decking layout. 4'x8' plywood cut in half and double stacked with 4x4 legs. might be overkill but i think you could hit it with a truck and it would be fine. Then mounted everything to it on a different side. have plenty of room to work for each part. single stage rcbs on one, trimmer on another, then scale and powder measure on the third. 4th against the wall.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a Dillon 550 and a Redding Ultra Mag single stage. Both load just as accurate rounds, but the Dillon is faster. It depends on how much time I have, how many rds I am wanting to load and what mood I am in as which press I use. The Ultra mag is more versatile. It will load longer rds than the Dillon will. My .45-110 sharps will not fit in the Dillon

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Fan45acp said:
Dillon 550B..Period..Best in the reloading business..Really :cool:

Yes, it is. Best? Remember, there is the 650 which is a lot faster if you are sitting down to load a thousand rounds or so in a session.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Best is kinda subjective. Sort of a Cheverolet/Ford thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts