Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was hoping i could get some input on what you use to clean your rifle as far as cleaners, patches, rods etc. go. Also, what's the best way to remove powder residue without leaving streaks? I was considering windex but my luck that would somehow eat through the barrel. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 700 LTR .308 I use a Tipton 1 piece carbon fiber cleaning rod, brass jags and cotton flannel patches. Most of the time you do not need to use a brush, but when needed use nylon. I learned from a benchrest shooter friend and a guy that was on the US Army shooting team to use Sea Foam for a bore cleaner. Yes, it is the same Sea Foam that you buy at the auto parts store. It is about $8 a can, but it is probably equal to the volume of 4 or more bottles of standard bore cleaners. If you look on the front of the can it says removes moisture, adds lubricity, and is a carbon cleaner. You do not have to worry about it rusting out and ruining a barrel if you don't get it all out, like an amonia based solvent. It is all that my LTR has seen and I have a beautiful bore and great groups at the range. It is great for maintenance cleaning, if you need to remove heavy copper fouling, then you will need to look to JB bore paste or something similar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I appreciate it! I'll hafta get some next time i go to Autozone or Advanced Auo :D
stex shooter said:
I have a 700 LTR .308 I use a Tipton 1 piece carbon fiber cleaning rod, brass jags and cotton flannel patches. Most of the time you do not need to use a brush, but when needed use nylon. I learned from a benchrest shooter friend and a guy that was on the US Army shooting team to use Sea Foam for a bore cleaner. Yes, it is the same Sea Foam that you buy at the auto parts store. It is about $8 a can, but it is probably equal to the volume of 4 or more bottles of standard bore cleaners. If you look on the front of the can it says removes moisture, adds lubricity, and is a carbon cleaner. You do not have to worry about it rusting out and ruining a barrel if you don't get it all out, like an amonia based solvent. It is all that my LTR has seen and I have a beautiful bore and great groups at the range. It is great for maintenance cleaning, if you need to remove heavy copper fouling, then you will need to look to JB bore paste or something similar.

·
Registered
121 Posts
+1 on the copper fouling... My barrel fouls real bad sometimes and it can take hours and hours to clean. Last Friday I pick up some jb bore brite and followed the instructions. 10 mins later it looked awesome.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The 1 piece rods are a must. I've used the section rods before and they eventually get loose in the joints or come apart halfway down the barrel.

I use bore tech and that works well for me. You might also try the conditioning bullets - fire lapping the barrel in otherwords. That made by barrel much easier to clean and it couper fouls way less!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use the following to clean

Bore-guide
Dewey Rod with Jag
Cotton Patches or Dental Gauze

Kroil Penetrating Oil
Weapon Shield CLP

I a patch of Kroil, then a dry patch. Repeats several times until the bore is clean. I finish with a patch of WeaponShield CLP and the rifle is good to go. I usually run about 10 patches through the gun before the barrel is clean. The last range session I shot about 100 rounds of XM80 down the tube. It cleaned up fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bore guide and 1 piece rod, pick your solvent thats about it. I clean my gun every 7-800 rounds sometimes more sometimes less. The groups tell me when to clean.

I used to shoot BR and clean every 10-20 rounds. Then I met a tactical shooter who told me he cleans when the groups open up. I now shoot a whole lot more and clean a whole lot less. Of course I clean the bolt and chamber after each outing but that is it.

Interestingly I had to clean the barrel recently and it took at least 50 rounds for the barrel to settle back in and start shooting again.

Some of you are reading this and thinking I am out of my mind to shoot this many rounds without cleaning. All I can say is give it a try, my gun will sneak into the .2's from time to time with 5 shot groups with 400+ down the tube.

Hardmix

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hardmix said:
Bore guide and 1 piece rod, pick your solvent thats about it. I clean my gun every 7-800 rounds sometimes more sometimes less. The groups tell me when to clean.

I used to shoot BR and clean every 10-20 rounds. Then I met a tactical shooter who told me he cleans when the groups open up. I now shoot a whole lot more and clean a whole lot less. Of course I clean the bolt and chamber after each outing but that is it.

Interestingly I had to clean the barrel recently and it took at least 50 rounds for the barrel to settle back in and start shooting again.

Some of you are reading this and thinking I am out of my mind to shoot this many rounds without cleaning. All I can say is give it a try, my gun will sneak into the .2's from time to time with 5 shot groups with 400+ down the tube.

Hardmix
I believe you. After I clean my PSS it takes about 20-25 rounds to settle down. Mine likes a little copper lining the tube... I just don't like looking at it like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
stex shooter said:
interesting. happen to have a bottle of sea foam in the garage. might have to check it out sometime. thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts