Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 4 year old son out to the range here at the ranch to shoot my AR-15 on Saturday. With the stock set at the shortest length of pull he can finally reach the trigger. He has been begging to get to shoot a hog this hunting season. I told him he had to be able to shoot the .223. He said that he was ready this weekend. We filled a gallon milk jug with water and put red food coloring in (as per his request) and set it at 25yds. I set him in my lap and rested the rifle on a shooting stick. I told him to put the red dot on the jug and squeeze the trigger. He said it was on the jug and I heard the report of the rifle and the jug exploded a beautiful red mist. He was thrilled ( so was I ). We high fived and he said "Let's do it agian" and we did.
This is my first born son, who was born a little more than 4 months early weighing only 1lb 7oz and 12in long. He was in the NICU for over 4 months before we brought him home. This little boy was the baby the doctors wanted us to abort, because he would be retarted, blind,deaf, and dumb. He is perfectly normal and does not even wear glasses. God is good.

My same son has been doing his chores and saving his money to buy a BB gun. Today we went to Wal-Mart and he proudly laid his own money he wroked so hard for down on the counter and walked out grinning ear to ear with his new Daisy Buck BB gun. We spent the afternoon filling milk jugs full of holes. This evening he asked if I would get my rifle and he would carry his BB gun to go hiking on the ranch. His 2yr old brother accompanied us on a 1hr hike, shooting cactus and weeds as we went. It has been a great weekend.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You have been blessed brother! I'm awaiting the days when I can get my son out and about to pop a few rounds on our farm in North Carolina or at his grandfather's ranch in Oregon. Enjoy the bonding, keep us updated!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Brings a smile to my face, stex. Everyday must seem like a blessing to you, I'm sure.
Good luck to you.:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is indeed a great story. I get my boys (5 and 9) outdoors as often as I can. I think it is so important to teach them how to hunt, respect wildlife, keep in touch with nature, and appreciate what it offers! I believe kids get absolutely no benefit from staring at a TV, video game, or computer screen for extended periods of time. It makes them lose touch with what really matters in life. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Man that was truly a great story Stex and brought a tear to my eye thinking of my 23 year old son on his second tour in Afghanistan. He comes home next March and I cant wait for him to come home so we can have some bonding time shooting at the range. Your a good father and good mentor to your sons and I would be proud to shake the hand of a great dad!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
308, I WILL be praying for your son's safe return in March. Please tell him "Thank You" for his service to his Country. I truly appreciate our military men and women who sacrifice so much, so that we can enjoy our freedoms and I can raise my children and worship our Lord in peace.

RBoomK, I agree whole heartedly. We live and I work on a large ranch in South Texas as a Wildlife Manager. ( I run the Hunting program) I could work somewhere else and make a lot more money, but not have time with the family. There is no better place for us to raise our two boys and one daughter. I get to be home everyday for lunch and my boys get to go to work with me for part of the day just about everyday. They have been in the deer blind since they were nine months old. The boys would rather be outside than anything else. My 4 year old already has a very strong work ethic and loves to show off his new baby sister and tell people that it is his job to protect his little sister. I will stop here. I could go on and on about my kids. I am very proud of them. They are my best friends and we spend lots of time togehter playing, learning, and working.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My son is 6. While we are in Alaska, I'm going to have to confine our shooting trips to the range, I am not too keen on taking him miles away from a road into brown bear territory. We do get out quite often, but I am new to the area.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Robo said:
My son is 6. While we are in Alaska, I'm going to have to confine our shooting trips to the range, I am not too keen on taking him miles away from a road into brown bear territory. We do get out quite often, but I am new to the area.
Hey Robo where in Alaska are you? I am headed to Kodiak to visit my brother for a couple weeks next summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts