Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am definately buying a 700. I am a huge marksmanship enthusiast and love small groups. I have come acrossed a good deal on an SPS varmint .308, off the shelf new for $570. I plan on making upgrades as far as the stock goes. I just want to know if this deal is to good to be true or can this be the gun that will get me my 1000yd mark that I want. I dont want to make comprimises, but i dont want to break the bank either.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good choice with the 700..

An SPS Varmint for $570 brand new is a good price, and definitely good thinking with upgrading the stock..that's the biggest catalyst with the SPSs.

With some 175HPBTs or some 155HPBTs (168s just don't have the mass or speed to do well at 1k) you'll definitely get to 1000yds and beyond.

Do you plan on doing all your shooting at 1000yds, or just once in a while? There are definitely "better" calibers for that range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats good news for me, and thanks for the reply. I do plan on shooting to 1k often when I get my skill set. But I would also like my 700 to pay itself off when I take it hunting. I believe the .308 is the best all around caliber for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've only done most my research on 223 and 308. I do know that 243 has started becoming more used for game hunting. But Im not sure if the smaller grains will give me the power im looking for. Is there a significant difference between the calibers?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on the .243 Win..I've shot a bit with it and have known it as .308's little brother. I know on a rabbit.. a .243 and a .270 is absolutely devastating..

I guess it would depend on whether you reload or not..as there aren't really any loads for .243 that cater to long range shooting. With the .308..well you can't go anywhere without finding a load.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just recently acquired my SPS Varmint in .308 and also plan to replace the low end stock. For the money, you will NOT be disappointed. Using Federal Match I am already getting consistent sub 3/4" groups at 100 yards (I have only put about 60 rounds through it so far).

Reaching 1000 yards reliably though will be a challenge. There is a reason the .300WM Sendero is popular for the longer range shooting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts