Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the new RemArms bolt action rifles are showing up at retailers. The tactical model with the 20" heavy barrel got my attention. As many know, some investment company bought out Remington around 2007 and quality went downhill. Now that Remington is now RemArms, how is quality for bolt action rifles in general, and the tactical and varmint rifles in particular that were built very recently?

·
Administrator
592 Posts
Cerebus bought up Remington in the early 2000’s but the quality really went downhill about 2014. There was a bankruptcy and reorganization in 2018 and a bankruptcy and liquidation in 2020. RemArms is the new company that makes Remington firearms on the old machinery. They are owned by a private investment group formed for the purchase.

It’s too early to know about the quality of the new firearms. The new RemArms will have RA prefix on the serial number. Hopefully you will get responses. I have a 223 Varmint and 308 Tactical from the 2009-2011 timeframe that are great but both have new stocks and triggers.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It was kind of a rule of thumb if you bought a 700 after 2005 it would need a trigger and probably a stock if the unit came with a synthetic stock,especially if it came with the Houge crap.

·
Administrator
592 Posts
The SPS Tactical with the Hogue Overmold stock was a nice feeling stock to shoot but the fore end was a noodle. As for triggers I had a non adjustable XMP that was OK a nd an adjustable that was bad.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I seen several RA 700 in 308 Varmint HB with B & C stock; they were flawless. The 700 action is still forged receiver and barrel machinery @ Illion the same equipment from Dupont ownership. We'll have to wait for new owner RA 700 range reports.

Just an FYI, also seen a few 870 Express's, they too were flawless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RemArms, how is quality for bolt action rifles in general, and the tactical and varmint rifles in particular that were built very recently?
I work as an RSO at a local gun club and two weeks ago I member showed up with a brand new one in the box, 6.5 CM. Out of the box it had failure to extract. The extractor failed to extract the cartridge, it was barely touching the rim of the cartridge. I didn’t measure the extract protrusion so can’t tell you if it was a bad exctrator or the extractor slot in the bolt was cut over sizes. Told him to send it back to REMARM . And before you ask, yes he tried two different brand of ammo. Hornady and one other, can’t remember the brand.

·
Administrator
592 Posts
I find absolutely amazing how a rifle makes it out of a factory with issues like extraction and inability to chamber a round but it seems to show up more and more. The only conclusion I can make is the rifle is not test fired, which makes one question whether it actually was even fired with a proof round.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I find absolutely amazing how a rifle makes it out of a factory with issues like extraction and inability to chamber a round but it seems to show up more and more. The only conclusion I can make is the rifle is not test fired, which makes one question whether it actually was even fired with a proof round.
The rifle chambered fine, shot nice groups too. Extraction was the problem. As a matter of fact the extraction was so bad it would not even extract an unforced cartridge

·
Administrator
592 Posts
Back around 2010 Remington produced the R25. A friend bought one and it would not chamber a round or if it did it was very difficult to extract. SAAMI allows some flexibility on proof case materials but to me it just insane that any rifle makes it out without being able to chamber and extract a round.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased a Remarms 700 ADL 6.5 last week to try out the 6.5 for little cost, overall finish not bad, have not shot it yet......the barrel had the most copper fouling of any 700 I ever purchased in the past 50 years.

As for the later 700's I found a NIB 700 Varmint .22-250 on clearance last month for $400 NIB, a 2017, superb fit and finish, shoots excellent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts