Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm perplexed as to the date of manufacture of my Model 700. Please don't jump to conclusions, my question is a valid one. The barrel code is OZ. Easy enough, "O" for July, but here is my dilemma, the "Z" could mean a 1975 manufactured gun or a 2004 year of manufacture. The rifle is new to me but purchased used with no known history. The overall condition is 98-99%, the bolt face is still factory blue with no primer ring wear at all. The caliber is 375 H&H with an extremely heavy barrel (.825 at the muzzle). This firearm's serial number has no prefix letter, it is 68725XX. The stock has matching rosewood for-end tip and pistol grip cap with what could be called "white line spacers" although not white in color, more like "nicotine" tan. The stock's front and rear reinforcing lugs are also rosewood. The butt pad is the older style solid black (tan spacer too) with the fine diamond pattern and the Remington logo in a narrow rectangle near the top. Other observations that could be considered clues are the vintage Redfield engraved rings and bases and the vintage Redfield 6X scope. When I researched the gun on the Remington website there was a photograph of a Grade "C" that looked identical to mine but those were not listed as available in 375 H&H.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I'll answer my own question after researching a 1975 edition of "Shooters Bible". The rifle in question is indeed a Remington 700 C "Custom". They show a list price of $357.00 in 1975. I'm off to the range, time to break in the "new gun".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts