Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m ready to order my Timney trigger for my 700 model Mountain Rifle in .270 Win. I noticed the add ( Midway ) calls it 40x and I have no idea what that number means. Also, they have what`s called a straight trigger and was wondering what the advamtage to that is oposed to the standard curved styled hunting trigger ?
Their price is $125 - Is that good or is their a cheaper price out there ?

Burch :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 40x trigger is the trigger Remington is putting on most of their 700s now. From what I understand, it is externally adjustable. The older triggers in the 700s were not. You can adjust them some, but not like the 40x triggers. None of my rifles have the 40x trigger.
I have made many purchases from Midway USA. From my experience, they usually have the best prices on the net. If you do happen to find a lower price, I doubt it would be more than pennies. They also have excellent cust service and ship really quickly. I've never waited more than 3 days for my order.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recently put a Timney 510 on my 700P (had the factory set it for 2 lb pull). Since it was a complete unit it went together fairly simple. I see now they even have a U-Tube video on how to perform the installation. I also changed out my trigger on my Colt AR however it was much easier of an install. That weapon has a 3 lb pull. IMHO, the trigger makes a world of difference especially if the original pull is in the 7-8 lb pull to begin with. What ever you get from Timney I'm sure it will make a big difference to your shooting/accuracy skills. Good Luck and FYI in another category on this forum there's quite a bit more in threads about the Timney's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went ahead and ordered it. Now all I have to do is chomp at the bit `til it gets here. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After installing my trigger my bolt seems a bit harder to lift up to get it to cycle. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe my 700 BDL manufactured late 90's came with the 40X trigger. My friend at our gun club who I trust for working on firearms helped me adjust the trigger to about 2.5 lbs. I've used it now for about 10 years and have had no problems with it and really like it. My nephew just got a 700 and his Xmas present started me and my brothers discussing the safety issue with Rem Mod 700's. I hadn't digested all of what I thought was misinformation about the issue. So I decided to reseach it in order to sort through to the facts. I still think the 40X trigger on my rifle is an excellent trigger but after reading through days of discussions on this forum and others I purchased from Midway a 510 Timney. Just having the possibility that oil, dirt, or other environmental effects could impact the safety of my rifle made me do it. I understand and fully accept the responsibility that firearm safety is my responsibility but I can't guarantee that for everybody that touches my rifles. I expect though that the Timney will be an improvement on the rifle especially as the safety can be engaged whether the rifle is cocked or not. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Remington 700 (7-mm Rem Mag), Cooper 52 (30-06), Cooper 57 (.17 HMR), Winchester 1885 (38-55), Marlin 39 (.22 LR), Winchester 9422 (.22 WMR) - Leupold scopes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed the new Timney trigger with no problem. Adjusted it to 2.5 lbs and reassembled the rifle. Did have to trim some stock on the front side of the trigger to allow for the adjustment screw but not problems. I was mistaken in that the Timney safety also requires the rifle be cocked to engage. It also doesn't seem as smooth as the original 40X safety. Probably going to shoot just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts