Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a used Remington 700 in .308. It is a classis from what I can tell.

and

that's the trigger.

my best group measured 0.760 from edge to edge (the longest spread in that 3 shot group).
I was shooting Federal 150 grain soft point ammo (yes I know, horrible stuff!)
My scope is a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 x 40 (yes I know, I need a higher powered scope!)

Can't seem to get any decent pictures of it (maybe I just need to practice) but it looks a LOT like:
http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=601
except that it's not stainless. Not matte black either, black and shiney, which I don't really like.

Anyways, compared to the only other .30 caliber rifle I've shot (Remington 700 in 30-06) the recoil
was almost nothing. I shot off 40 rounds before I was happy with the scope alignment and managed
to get off 3 decent 3 shot groups.

Plans are a better scope, a Harris bi pod and possibly a nice 10 round magazine system and better scope
mounts. I'm using a 2 piece Leopold that my ex father in law sent with the scope as a Christmas gift (before
he was my ex father in law).

Can anyone identify the trigger mechanism please?

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like a standard 700 trigger.

Nothing wrong with the scope you have. Now days every one wants more power in their scope but unless you're shooting in matches you probably don't need it. In fact, it's probably wrong. When the first 3-9X scopes came out I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I had been shooting a K6 Weaver and folks said that was too much scope. I was shooting ground squirrels around Paris, Ca and the K6 was just about right for those long 300 yard shots. The 3-9X made it just a bit easier. Today I have an old 700 in 223 caliber with an old 3-9X Leupold and have taken countless prairie dogs at around 400 yards with it. I do have bigger scopes and when you get out to 1000 yards you need it, but don't think you'll need it for normal hunting. Carlos Hathcock used a 3-9 for most of his shooting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I'll stick with what I have for now. I was pretty happy with how it shoots, just always looking to improve, you know?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts