Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cold day, but sunny. My first try at handloading. Hornady Lock-n-Load AP press (manually). RCBS Chargemaster Lite. Shot at 100yds. Happy with results. My rifle is a new (RemArms) 700 SPS Tactical 6.5 Creedmoor 22" AAC (Model R84204). Has a 5-R barrel. Shot with a bipod. Only mod is a muzzle break. Scope is Burris 4-16x50. Found new Alpha brass and CCI BR primers for "small rifle." Cannot find large rifle primers anywhere (hen's teeth)! Set seating depth at about .010" BTO with comparator. Will continue looking for the "magic" combination. There are so many combinations, which is half the fun in reloading!
Triangle Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern
Font Triangle Rectangle Gas Pattern
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
171 Posts
So that's a new Rem Arms 700 6.5 CM 5R rifling and 1/8 twist ? I was told their were going to be produced in 5R, yours is the first. Is 5R stamped on the barrel ? If so, congrats on your purchase and a range report that's impressive, nice shooting and nice set up.

I also use a Hornady LNL AP for pistol, never loaded rifle on it yet as still use Hornady single stage press. I've seen a few new 700 varmints in .243 Win, appear to be new Rem Arms production, unknown if 5R? I owned a pre-64 Model 70 .243 Win that was a real shooter, the .243 ballistics not that from off from 6.5 CM other than bullet weights. How's the recoil of the 6.5, others claimed mild and others state just little lighter than the .308?

· Registered
171 Posts
I assume the barrel was factory threaded and you added the muzzle break ? Are planning to try Varget powder ? I've had great luck across several calibers but the most difficult powder to acquire since Covid.

· Registered
171 Posts
What do you mean "new at this" your range reports are as good as it gets, the Hornady 143 ELD printed a awesome group. The barrel likes the heavier bullets and always had good luck with H4350 too. I missed the gravy train pre Covid on a 700 6.5 CM, now components just too difficult to find to set up a new rifle.

A old friend was SWAT firearms instructor; they purchase 2 $4000 sniper rifles from Sweden, the 700 Police models in .308 out shot them.

Keep the range reports coming .........................

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. You're kind. My buddy told me to shoot a ten-round string of the 143 ELDs to see if that really is a good loading, or just luck. Ten rounds? I may nod off! :sleep: They're already loaded (i.e. ten rounds of 143 ELD)! We'll see.:unsure:

· Registered
171 Posts
5 shot group is ideal but 10 shot group would be ideal. Do you have ranges beyond 100 yards to check MOA @ distance, you have a fine rifle and outstanding barrel for that's shooting so well for a new barrel.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
5 shot group is ideal but 10 shot group would be ideal. Do you have ranges beyond 100 yards to check MOA @ distance, you have a fine rifle and outstanding barrel for that's shooting so well for a new barrel.
Sadly, only 100yds. Am looking to find more distance but will need to travel out of state. Would enjoy reaching out further to test it.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another good, if not cold, day at the range. Followed my pals advice and did 10 shots at 100yds. I think you are right about my rifle liking heavier bullets. It shot those 143s well (about as well as I can manage). Think I'll keep my rifle. lol
Rectangle Font Pattern Creative arts Symmetry

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yesterday's best group. I am happy with the rifle and it's a good indication for the new RemArms. While this is only my experience (anecdotal evidence), it's a good one. With all the competition, they must be good! I have made one major change. I now have a 34 power Athlon Argos scope mounted. Can really reach out!
Metal Wood Nickel Electric blue Titanium

Font Triangle Rectangle Parallel Pattern

1 - 14 of 14 Posts