700Rifle.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has worked to help with the recoil?
I shot about 30 rounds yesterday day and while today I don't have any bruises I thought when I was shooting I would have some today.
I would like for my .308 be more comfortable. I have seen and considering the Remington "SuperCell" pad and have seen these weights that go into the stock to reduce recoil.
I would like to hear any feedback on those items and any solutions that you have had work.
Thanks for your time.

Randy
700P .308
700P .223

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think the simplest thing is to ad weight. Mine is just over 11 lbs. right now. I want to add even more in the but of the stock, but not sure what to put there yet. Maybe some lead shot and pack it in tight?

I'm still using the "tuperware" stock so there is a ton of room in it.

However, my stock has a soft rubber but pad, and that seems to work quite well. I don't get any bruises, but still would like to "tone it down" a bit.

They make over the shoulder recoil pads, but those seem quite expensive to me. So I think the best option is just to add weight somehow. I went with steel rings and a base to add even more weight when I put on the scope. That added a few pounds with the scope.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Even simplier get a limbsaver slip on recoil pad....reduces 70% of the recoil. 20 bucks or so at wally world

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jinxed247 said:
Even simplier get a limbsaver slip on recoil pad....reduces 70% of the recoil. 20 bucks or so at wally world
Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk but I am not putting a slip on anything on a gun like this.
Why spend money on good equipment and then degrade it with a cheesey attachment.
There are many ways to do something and I very rarely take the simple cheap path.
I can't do it. I prefer to do it "the right way"
Thanks for trying

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'd find it hard to believe that any recoil pad would reduce felt recoil by 70%.

Like Semper Fi said, add weight to the stock or maybe change the stock. Vias muzzle brakes also work pretty well and perhaps a shooting jacket with pad in the sholder.

When I shot on Rifle teams we had shooting jackets that did a pretty good job of taking the edge off the 30-06 Match guns we had.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a mod 700 classic 30-06 that has a muzzle break. BK and I talked about this a while ago, he is totally against them and I WAS also, until I shot my rifle with one installed. It makes all the difference in the world but............it sure makes it one loud weapon. At the range it's not so bad but when I'm hunting I don't wear earplugs and believe me I can notice the difference. I also have a 700 VLS in .243 that feels like a .22 when I shoot it only because it's so heavy. It is a dream to shoot. I know you might not believe this and everyone is different but I felt like I handled recoil better on all my rifles after I put jewell triggers on them. I know that sounds stupid but I think the difference was not having the time to anticipate the recoil while I was pulling back on the factory 200 lb trigger pull (haha). My shooting ability greatly improved after I put those triggers on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far I have run 75 shots through the gun and I haven't had any issue with a sore shoulder.
I just want to make it very nice to shoot.
So I will be doing the Remington Supercell recoil pad. And instead of a mercury type recoil reducer I will add some weight.
I have found some Tungsten rods that are 1/4" diameter and 2" long so I can drill some small holes and place it in the areas I need it.
I will put a muzzle brake on at some point in the near future as my barrel is 26" and I want to shorten it a little but not sure how much.
Will it be best at 24", 22" or in between. I want it to be easy to handle and I want to get a can for it so I will need to either thread it or
a quick detachable type so I will get all of the end of the barrel work done at one time.
A suppresor is the best muzzle brake and the most expensive.
And a300fe1- a heavy trigger will give you the time to think about the muzzle blast so I do see how the better trigger would help.
Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
SemperFi said:
I think the simplest thing is to ad weight. Mine is just over 11 lbs. right now. I want to add even more in the but of the stock, but not sure what to put there yet. Maybe some lead shot and pack it in tight?
I'm still using the "tuperware" stock so there is a ton of room in it.
However, my stock has a soft rubber but pad, and that seems to work quite well. I don't get any bruises, but still would like to "tone it down" a bit.
They make over the shoulder recoil pads, but those seem quite expensive to me. So I think the best option is just to add weight somehow. I went with steel rings and a base to add even more weight when I put on the scope. That added a few pounds with the scope.
I agree about adding weight, but, I'[m sorry, the .308 Win isn't a heavy hitter.

You can go with a muzzle brake too.

I shoot a sniper match with a .308 - 55rds is 30 mins, prone, and my shoulder is OK.

I also have a .338LM than recouils like a .308 because of a very effient brake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts