Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, quick question.. I've been trolling the internet and youtube seeking the advice of proffesionals about the fantastic rifle that is the Model 700.. I recently purchased the 5-R Milspec version and the scope rings and mount werent the same brand and most likely not the same kind of steel, which evidently affects how the rifle heats up and cools down. So what do you find as a good pairing? I'm considering some Trijicon hardware but if anything you've tested works better, tell me please! Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
Any of the high nd stuff: Nightforce (I just ordered a set of rings and base today), TPS, Leupold Mark 4, Badger Ordanence, Seekings Precision, EGW (the Steel kit). There is other kit like Burris, EGW (alloy kit) Millet, etc that is also good kit for budget but if you have the cash, dont hesitate with the high end kit. If you have a hell nice rifle and scope, why not complement it with a decent set of rings and base. I currently have a custom R700 .308 with a NXS 3.5-15x50 and its sitting on an EGW alloy base and TPS alloy rings, im changing to steel NF gear. Call it peice of mind more than anything else.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Model7005-R said:
I recently purchased the 5-R Milspec version and the scope rings and mount werent the same brand and most likely not the same kind of steel, which evidently affects how the rifle heats up and cools down.
What rings and mount do you have? Not sure about scope mounts affecting how the rifle heats up and cools down. I'd think that if your rifle is getting hot enough to bother the scope mount, you've already ruined the barrel.

YMMV

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have Leupold Mark 4 tactical base and rings for my Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 scope on my 700 LTR .308. I have no no complaints.. rock solid. I carry my rifle in my truck driving around the rough ranch roads allday everyday, and have had no problems with the setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
stex shooter said:
I have Leupold Mark 4 tactical base and rings for my Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 scope on my 700 LTR .308. I have no no complaints.. rock solid. I carry my rifle in my truck driving around the rough ranch roads allday everyday, and have had no problems with the setup.
Did you get the medium rings for your scope, I have the same scope and just got my rifle and was wondering which ring height to go with.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
^^^ there is no way you cant get away with the low rings and even the BC covers on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
^^^ there is no way you cant get away with the low rings and even the BC covers on it.
are you saying I "cant" use the low rings and still have the scope fip ups on it? Two others just said I could use the low rings with the 40mm scope and covers......I really dont want to buy the low rings and not be able to use them....

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
sorry about that " There is no way not to be able to use them" :) typo sorry hehehe

·
Registered
409 Posts
On a totally unrelated note... Winxp Man, I'll be at work (at our station) checking this forum and find myself watching your little video on your posts and just laughing every time. Is that from a movie or just something you found funny online? Either way, it's awesome.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So what did you come up with? Any Pics? I use the indestructable CounterSniper shortys, they are T6160 Aircraft Aluminum and are secured by 3 set screws on each side (6 total).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went a different route. I basically traded my gun smith my rem 700 and ended up with a Bartlein m40 barrel, alpha II action, jewell trigger and a manners stock. I got a USO scope to ride on top of it. I havent got the rifle back yet as I am waiting on the action to get to him and fitted. I cant wait. I am not having the same problem with which rings to go with, my USO has a 58 mm objective and I got the low rings from Nightforce (which fit fine with my Leupold). I have to do the measuring once the rifle is together. Picts to follow once I get it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nice! I love the USO - I used a SN-3 T-Pal for years! It was a real beauty queen.

Don't worry if it's tight on clearance between the bolt and scope, you can alway address that with a canted base like a 20moa or 45moa.

Make sure you let us see some pics when you bring her home!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts