Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some feedback on the new Redfield Revolution scopes. They are owned by Leupold, so I guess that association should be a positive thing. They are also made in the USA!

Anyway, I've read a lot of very positive reviews on this line of scopes and just wanted to see what you folks thought about them.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I have a new model redfield 3-9x40 with the accu range reticle on my hunting rifle (savage 110 - 30-06) and I love it! Originally I was going to go with a nikon pro staff (same price range) but the image on the nikon was no where as crisp as the redfield. The redfields eye relief is amazing, it's design does allow you to get on your target faster than a traditional scope. I had tried out the 4-12 but found on the higher magnification the image lost some clarity so I chose to stay with the 3-9. It was able to gather much more light than the nikon as well. It's a solid hunting scope and you can't go wrong with it. I believe I paid somewhere along the lines of 140 at bass pro. And yes leupold does handle the warranty so Customer service is no questions asked. I had a buddy of mine go gator hunting down here in the Everglades and they came across a sunken air boat. They found some knives, a rifle, and two scopes one was a redfield (original not the leupold model) he called up leupold and told them that he was hunting and the scope went swimming and is very foggy. Once they received his, a few weeks later he received a brand new one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jasonbourne said:
I have a new model redfield 3-9x40 with the accu range reticle on my hunting rifle (savage 110 - 30-06) and I love it!
Excellent info! I was looking at the 3-9X40 with the 4-Plex reticle. I am just a basic crosshairs kinda guy. I am thinking this is just what I will need for a little target shooting. My local shooting range is limited to 300 yds, so I think the Redfield would be just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
It should do you pretty good. I wouldn't say no to the accu range untill you look through it. It's not as I guess you can say "loud" as other bdc's. In either event you made a good choice. I paired mine with leupold two piece base and rings withe the beavertail lock. It handles recoil extremely well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have one, and it a pretty decent scope. It's certainly no VX3 or Conquest, but it zeroed up pretty easily,and seemed pretty clear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
BK said:
I have one, and it a pretty decent scope. It's certainly no VX3 or Conquest, but it zeroed up pretty easily,and seemed pretty clear.

Same thing here. I have 2...one is the 4-12 the other the 3-9x50. They arent Leupold's best by no means..but if you do some shopping you can get them for a mighty good price for what your receiving.

I bought both of mine off E-Bay; new still in the box with papers so I wont be complaining at all.

·
Registered
496 Posts
back in the 80's redfield was the cats meow! their illuminator series was the bench mark for fully coated optics that gathered more available light than anything on the planet AT THAT TIME.if you had one on your rifle youwalked with a big stick. there midlevel one was called the golden 5 star series. which was a good scope in itself. so even though you didnt ask for my two cents worth. i feel that they are probobly THE BEST SCOPE FOR THE MONEY. with the fact they are made in america for americans and leupold will stand by them, then for a hunting rifle its a no brainer---redfield all the way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
swampthang said:
back in the 80's redfield was the cats meow! their illuminator series was the bench mark for fully coated optics that gathered more available light than anything on the planet AT THAT TIME.if you had one on your rifle youwalked with a big stick. there midlevel one was called the golden 5 star series. which was a good scope in itself. so even though you didnt ask for my two cents worth. i feel that they are probobly THE BEST SCOPE FOR THE MONEY. with the fact they are made in america for americans and leupold will stand by them, then for a hunting rifle its a no brainer---redfield all the way.

Check out E-Bay for the older used Redfields and see what they are going for...YIKES!!!!! Just slightly less than brand new Leupolds. As I stated before they arent IMHO as solid as the old Redfield line...but especially for the $$ they arent bad at all. If Id have thought them to be a poor buy...Id never have bought my second one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a redfield 4x12 with the accu reticle on my ruger m77 mkii .300 win mag. I actually used the redfield in place of a bushnell elite 3200. The eye relief is much better.The glass is good - zeroes easily and afetr about 60 rounds of 180 grain on a stiff recoil rifle it still holds zero. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all. Im new here but wanted to add to this thread. I just purchased and mounted a Redfield Revenge series Varmint Accu-Ranger 6-18 x 44 rifle scope. I have not taken it to the range yet, but it is very clear and I am impresed especially at the price of $300. The downside. It is stamped,"Phillipines" right on the underside of the scope. Thats a problem for me. But, if it performs to standard at the range I will probably be able to overlook this . I will start a thread entitled," Revenge On The Range" within the next couple of weeks to log my experience from atmosphric data to load specs, and all points in between. Maybe it will help someone decide on whether or not they are interested in the Revenge Varmint 6-18 x 44. It is currently mounted on a factory stock Remington 700 SPS Varminter. 26'' bbl, 1 in 12 twist. I am laying it to bed in an HS Precision stock soon, but want to test the inherent accuracy of the factory stock at the beginning of the range tests for comparison sake. Look for the start of the test soon. See ya at the range! God Bless

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update. After installing the Redfield I decidd to send it back. I still plan to do the review as mentioned. Only with the Falcon Menace

·
Registered
51 Posts
so i guess redfield is made in the philliines also? i was thinking about purchasing one for a new rhunting rifle. i allways was a burris man, but i bought one of the fullfield2s a few years back. let me tell ya i was a little bit dissapointed when it said made in the phillipines on the bottom of the scope. all my other burris products say totally made in the good old united states!!!!! so you guys think the redfield is still a good scope even if it is made in the phillipines?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
swampthang said:
back in the 80's redfield was the cats meow! their illuminator series was the bench mark for fully coated optics that gathered more available light than anything on the planet AT THAT TIME.if you had one on your rifle youwalked with a big stick.

That was back when Redfield made scopes in the US. Also back when one of their plants south of Denver had a big leak of degreasing agent. Ended up polluting an entire subdivision through the ground water.

Wonder if that's why they were sold?

·
Registered
228 Posts
The redfield revolution scopes are made at the leupold plant in oregon. The redfield REVENGE scopes are made in the phillipines (not sure where it may be assembled). The boxes they come in will also state where they are made. I have a revolution on a .300win mag - and she does very well for $219.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
rollinrock said:
thanks i was wondering ill pay a few extra dollars for made in the U.S.A.

I think you'll find that even the "Made in USA" scopes are for the most part just assembled here from parts made offshore.

The only exception I know of is US Optics but for one of their scopes make sure you have at least $3,000 or more on your "card" before ordering one.

Even NightForce is built from "foreign glass", just hand selected and assembled in Idaho.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not sure about manufacturing. Redfiels states "made at leupold plant". Mine works great and holds zero on a 8.5 lbs .300 win mag that kicks like a mule. And has great eye relief.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Little bit of an old thread, but I'll give it a shot. this is the glass i have decided on. got the Revolution 3-9x50. my question is (forgive me if this seems a bit juvenile) what size rings should i go with? ideally, i would like as low as possible. it'll be mounted to my SPS Tactical .308 with a 20MOA base. would low rings work with this set up or should i opt for the medium? I'm not very well versed in this area. all of my rifles have been hand me downs, or iron sights.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm Not 100% Sure but I Think you'll need the Med. Rings even w/ the 20min Base.
I have the Same Scope on a 700BDL w/ Std. Leupold Bases & mine Required the High Rings to Clear. You might want to Check w/ Jasonbourne, WinXP, or Swampthing as they would Know More about your particular Rifle. Besides one of them will probably Answer this Post in the next day or sooner. Great Scope Choice IMHO. I Really Love Mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Sarge. i figured JB would post, in an earlier reply he said he had one. trying to forgo the PM. I had the chance to look through one about a month ago. side by side with a buckmaster, it was the obvious choice. really clear glass and zero distortion at 3x through 9x. i dont have much expertise in this area, but my eyes dont lie. what works for me may not work for another, but for under $250, i have yet to find something comparable. i expect to do an even mix between hunting and paper punching. no need IMHO at least, for an all out tactical scope with a rear-view mirror and espresso machine on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts