Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have been reloading 5.56 and .223 ammo of various shapes and sizes for awhile now feeding my double star AR target rifle with great success. However I just bought a new Remington 700 sps and am having trouble. I have used different kinds of brass (mil-spec and 223 rem all resized with 223 full length dies) and three kinds of powder (h4198, IMR 4198, and IMR 3031) all according to my books and even at starting loads my primers (WSR) are cratering??? any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
First off Welcome to the forum...........

Are the primers flattening also? or just cratering ? Reason being Remington 700 rifles sometimes tend to crater primers for some reason. My .308 does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No they are not flattening just cratering. Thanks for the input I was about to pull my hair out trying to figure out a load that didn't crater! I picked up a box of factory ammo just to make sure I'm not totally crazy but I haven't had time to try them out yet

·
Registered
403 Posts
Have you concidered using another powder other then IMR. Hodgdon H335 and Ramshot Tac work well and I have even seen some use Hodgdon Varget as well with success. You may want to check other primers.....CCI and Wolf work well too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts