Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and am I glad I found it. I posted the below problem on two other forums that I am a member of and am seeking ya'lls input. It's kinda long. Thanks

Here's the problem. I have a Remington 700 Ti in 7MM SAUM. The load is from the Barnes site. 58.5 gr. of H414, Federal GM215M primer, 140 gr. TTSX seated to a length of 2.226 (ogive). I loaded up several as high as the 60 grain max and went to the range. The bolt is hard to open and this load (58.5) is 1.5 grains less than the published maximum. I had the extractor replaced earlier in the year, but factory ammo and unfired ammo cycles fine.

I used a Stoney Point/Hornady headspace gauge and set the shoulder back .002 to 1.632. A factory round checks at 1.627. A case head check (granted it was done when I got home and not the range) indicates a .549 case head and an unfired factory case measures .546. Furthermore, I have not chrono'd the load to see if the velocity is out of whack and the primers are not cratered or flattened.

Previous handloads with IMR 4350 at maximum published recipes have given me no problems.

Are the measurements above considered out of tolerance? Any other suggestions? This load is extremely accurate.

Now here is what happened today.

Tried it again today with somewhat similar results. Took my chronograph and my micrometer with me today as well. Here's what I loaded:

One round each at .5 grain intervals

55.0 to 57.0 gr. H414

140 gr. Barnes TTSX

Federal GM215M

OAL 2.226

Each round had a sticky bolt and even at 55.0 gr. I could raise the bolt but not pull the bolt back. Chronographed the 57.0 gr load at 2963 fps.

2nd loading. Loaded in .5 grain increments

140 gr. Barnes TTSX

57.5 to 60.0 gr. IMR 4350

Federal GM215M

OAL. 2.226

Not every round exhibited difficult extraction. The chronograph indicated the following results starting at 59.0 gr.

59.0 (1) 3043 fps (2) 3038 fps (3) 3025 fps

59.5 (1) 3091 fps (2) 3085 fps (3) 3114 fps

60.0 (1) 3125 fps (2) 3127 fps (3) 3123 fps

I took some factory loads as well. I only shot them twice but did not have any issues with them. I then measured the case head expansion and compared notes. The factory load measured .549 and my handloads measured .549. OAL on all of the fired cases measured 2.030. I trim all of my cases to 2.025 and followed the directions again using my RCBS full length sizing die before loading any of the above. This time I set the die exactly as the manufacturer suggested rather than trying to set the shoulder back only .002. Still having the same results.

I then fired some handloads that I had done 2 years ago that exhibited no signs of pressure at all in this gun (same loads except used a Rem. 9-1/2M primer). The bolt was again hard to open. The chronograph indicated the loads at 3169 fps, 3184 fps, and 3196 fps. Again, these loads were fine two years ago.

I noticed that several of the rounds had rough spots on the rim itself. I had the extractor replaced several months ago and believe that this may be part of my problem Is it possible that the extractor could be causing problems?

This is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I copied and pasted this into a email and sent to a very good customer who has been reloading for 50+ years. He has forgotten more than I know. Hopefully will have his opinion tomorrow.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's what I was thinking.

Did you try any other load (I mean that had previously functioned fine)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well gentlemen, now I am at a loss. I loaded up some more ammo and went to the range. Took some factory ammunition with me as well. Now the rifle has hard bolt lift even with factory ammo. Not all of the reloads had problems and not all of the factory ammo had problems. But, when I had to knock the bolt back with a solid object I quit and came home. These were relatively mild handloads as well. Loads and chronograph results are listed below. All loads are with brand new Remington brass, trimmed to 2.025, full length sized and tumbled to clean.

140 gr. Barnes TTSX
58.0-59.5 gr. IMR 4350
Rem. 91/2

58.0 2879 fps 2911 fps 2885 fps
58.5 2924 fps 2932 fps 2945 fps
59.0 2984 fps 3018 fps 2963 fps
59.5 2999 fps 3030 fps 3008 fps

58.5-59.5 IMR 4350
Rem 9-1/2M

58.5- 2994 fps 2969 fps
59.0- 2994 fps 2969 fps
59.5- 3031 fps 3075 fps 3045 fps

58.5-59.5 IMR 4350
Fed GM215M

58.5- 2955 fps 2963 fps
59.0- 3001 fps 2996 fps

Remington factory 140 gr. Core Lokt Ultra

3002 fps 2979 fps 3009 fps 3018 fps 3059 fps 3054 fps

Again, not all of the ammo had problems. Primers look good, no ejector mark, nothing. I get home and started cleaning it. I happened to be playing with that stupid J lock on the bolt and found out that it doesn't work properly either. I can close the bolt when the security system is engaged. I took the bolt apart and everything appears cosher.

I am thinking about taking it back to the local gunsmith or taking it to Nagel's Gun Shop in San Antonio. They did the extractor work last time and they are an authorized Remington serive center.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey Mr. Muley Hunter,

Max length on the .308 is 2.015". Trim to length is 2.005". So, 2.025" is too long. Stay away from Magnum primers. I use either Fed 210 match primers, CCI-Br2 primers or WLR primers. Also, with the Barnes X bullets, use only Barnes loading data and watch the overall length of the loaded cartridge. The X bullets need about a .050" jump to the lands. Seating out too close to the lands will cause excessive pressure. Also, clean the chamber well to be sure there is no powder residue buildup in the forward portion of the chamber.

Nagel's is a good gun shop and they being certified by Remington as a repair center should be able to solve your problems if it is a problem with the rifle itself.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thornbloom,

I'm shooting a 7mm Remington Short Action Ultra mag. Max case length is 2.035 and I trim to Barnes recommended length of 2.025". Bullets are seated well over the .050 that Barnes recommends. I used a Stoney Point OAL length gauge and seating bullets at .050 off the lands will not allow them to fit in the magazine. Therefore they are seated until they will function through the magazine.

The problem is that ammo that had no function problems two years ago now is a problem. Also, factory Remington ammo is having problems. I've been reloading for nearly 30 years and have never had a problem such as this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Whoops, I am sorry. I guess I didn't read close enough. I don't have any experience with the 7mm short magnums.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mr. Muley Hunter,

I have been thinking about the problem you have been having with your 700. It seems that I was having a similar problem with my 700 VSF .22-250. Wouldn't chamber factory loads or reloads. I thought it was the extractor so I ordered a couple of factory extractors from Midway and installed a new one. That seemed to help for 8 or 10 rounds and then back to the same thing. I took it to a gunsmith who builds custom 700 long range rifles and he fixed it. He said it wasn't the extractor. He said he "re-built" the front end of the bolt. Charged me $50 and the rifle works great. I couldn't tell you exactly what he did because I really don't know, but the front end of the bolt looks brand new.

So, if your chambering problems started after you started having extractor problems, might be the same thing. The gunsmith I used is Scott Edwards, 29 Palms, California. He owns and operates RSECustoms. You can pull up his website and get his phone number and email address and talk to him about the problem you are having with your 700. Good luck.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the information. I actually dropped the rifle off at Nagel's yesterday. The gunsmith said he tells his folks to shoot the gun after they change out extractors. He said it sounded like a chamber problem in that for some reason changing the extractor would result in scarred up brass, which I do have. Evidently no one shot my rifle after the extractor had been changed out. I really dont want the bolt face reworked. The extractor just pops out and in so I cant see it causing that much trouble, but I'm not a gunsmith either. I'll keep this thread posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK. Got the rifle back last week and shot it yesterday. Still have the problem, but not on every round. They polished the chamber and did something else to it to fix the j lock. I loaded some more rounds yesterday and will take some factory ammo with me at the next range session. If this continues after next week I'm sending it to Remington. I may change out the extractor again. Could they have installed the wrong one? I think they make one for standard calibers and one for magnums.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wanted to update everyone on the issue I had with my 700 Ti. I got the rifle back from Remington yesterday and the information sheet says they found that the extractor was catching on the shell head, it closes hard over the shell casing, and a tight chamber. So, they blended the extractor into the shroud and finish reamed the chamber. They also gave me a new stainless fluted firing pin assembly without the J lock system. AND, they warrantied all of the work! This really surprised me because the gun was nearly 3 years old. Now THAT'S service. The only gripe I have is they tested the gun using a slave trigger (can't blame them for that) and removed my Shilen trigger. When they sent the gun back the trigger assembly was in a bag and I had to reinstall the trigger. Kinda aggravating, but considering they warrantied all of the work I am not too ticked.

I got the trigger reinstalled, my Zeiss scope remounted and am in the process of cleaning her up. Thumper is home and I'm a happy camper. I can't wait for a range session.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts