Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed the two dampers at the end of the stock to have the barrel completely free floating? I intend to change the stock later on, but want to improve the factory stock for now. I read somewhere that you can put some spacers between the action and stock on a synthetic stock. Would this possibly be an option? if so, what to use as spacers?
I just got a 700 XCR II 30-06 a month ago and have been working with ammo to find the right one. Got it down to about 1 MOA with Hornady Custom Interlock BTSP 165gr (some groups were sub MOA with this ammo), but it doesn't seem to like Superformance in SST (1.5 to 2" group) or GMX (3 to 5" groups)150 &165gr. Rem Scirocco 150gr is about 1.5" with some flyers. I've just ordered the Hornady Custom SST 150gr to try. I've also tried several others, but without good success or rounds that I would not want to hunt with. What have some of you guys found to work good with your 700 30-06 XCR II's?

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been there done that. I got 2 700's newest one is a sps.308 nothing has been done to YET. The other is a 1951 mod 721 30.06 ADL well it was. It now is in a camo sps stock. The first time I droped it in a BDL stock witch I floated & beded got all the parts to convert it to a hinged floor plate. It still got the factory barrle cut & recrowned bolt lugs laped head space reset to 2.0487 SAAMI min. Replaced trigger with a 700 triger trigger job to. Keeped the locking bolt part. So it has been floated and beded 2 times now. Right now it is unfloated with the pressuer points. WOW 3 stocks lator LOL. I am not going to bed it weight but got a idea on pillers. I am on the fence post on floating it. This is why when it is floated & beded a cold bolt shot it WILL hit the same hole. Yes it took months to see that. But the 2nt shot moves 1/8" untill about 2" MOA that at a 100 yards. In the sps stock I cant do the cold bolt but stays in a MOA longer 6 rounds or so. So it is a give and take thing. You might want to start to hand loading if you realy want to get anel it is fun to. hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts