Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few months JFComfort and i had been contemplating a long range "light"weight rife. After much research on calibers we decided on 7mm and further limited it down to the 7mm SAUM. I like the shot action mag rounds but with the 60* shoulder(the same as our beloved 6.5creedmoor round) and offering the same performance as the 7mm WSM with less powder the SAUM was the winner in our eyes.

The plan:

Rem 700 LA mag bolt face action. Yes a long action for a S/A mag round.
McRee chassis from Snipercompany.com
Jewell trigger.
30" keriger 1/8.5 HV contour
JP brake
USO or NF L/A 20MOA base (what ever is laying around)
It will be topped off with a spare NF 5.5x22 NPR1 until its own USO comes in.

As of 10/19 all parts are in my grubby little hands with the exception of the stock. Hopefully i can find the time to drag JF'er out to the garage and get started cambering the barrel so when the chassis does arrive its just drop in and go...

Stay tuned for pics in the next few days.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Sounds like a nice plan :D

Are you going to be doing all the metal work on the lathe you guys now have ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winxp_Man said:
Sounds like a nice plan :D

Are you going to be doing all the metal work on the lathe you guys now have ?
Yes sir, all DIY from here on out.

jerrschmitt said:
That ought to be a real shooter. I hear that Norma is making brass for it now.
Its listed with some of the online retailers but i haven't seen any in stock yet.

From what i hear the Rem brass is pretty good for factory brass. I have not heard the best things about the Win brass from the 7WSM shooters.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Looking forward to getting this one started! The projects are adding up quick!

So far Dane and I are 2 for 2 or each of us is 1 for 1. However you wanna look at it. Both our rifles shoot really well! I managed 3rd in the AZ LRPRS match in Phoenix over the weekend with mine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Trying to take a pic while steadily advancing the reamer, best pic i could get. Joe's thumb while operating the "oil system"

Phone pic of the chamber as its about .010 from finished. Its a PITA to clean it every time you need to measure. A reamer stop may be in the future... near future.
Yes its perfectly round, looks egg shape from a funky camera angle.

Barrel and action together

all the goodies that will go on/with this build. A 6.5 creedmoor next to the 7mm Saum for round comparison

Waiting on the Mcree and switched to a cleaned up Rem action instead of a Stiller for budget reasons.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jasonbourne said:
Jf, is that one bullet supposed to be seated like that??
Yes it is. Its the final OAL will be around 3.2 to 3.3"

We went with the long actions so we could seat the bullets long maximizing case capacity and keeping the base of the bullet even with the shoulder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some pics from 1000y and 1800y with the barrett99 and 7saum

The finished 7Saum project

with suppressor

3 7saum rounds on the hood of my truck loaded to 3.16oal

a group JFC shot with the 7saum. Nothing in the picture to visually measure by but i believe they were .66" center to center.

View to targets @1000y

JFC's 1800y hit on the elk just below the kill zone

We had some people roll up on rhinos to poach our targets. Caught this guy taking a piss as seen through the USO spotting scope.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
That's what I thought but had to make sure lol. I was going to say if that was at 1k I'll give you my 1st born child and my wife in trade lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
remington8700 said:
Who makes that stock? How do you like it? Just got a hs precision for my 308.
Scott McRee of McRee precision. I love it! I have one on the 7Saum and a S/A on the 6.5Creedmoor match rifle.

Everything is adjustable, length of pull, cheek piece height and location, but plate height. Its solid aluminum so its rigid as hell, the folder joint is rock solid too. Grip can be changed to any AR grip with little or no modification. It has more features, is lighter than and a few hundred less expensive than an AI with all the benefits of a chassis over a stock.

http://www.mcreesprecision.net/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now Ive been looking into that 7mm I am going to have some work done on my rifle sometime soon but how do you like the cartgride say compared to the bigger bores assuming you have some expiernce with them? And I wanted to ask you also is the 8.5 twist realy need over a 30 inch barrel im just wondering do you get a more effeicent powder burn?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
remington8700 said:
Now Ive been looking into that 7mm I am going to have some work done on my rifle sometime soon but how do you like the cartgride say compared to the bigger bores assuming you have some expiernce with them? And I wanted to ask you also is the 8.5 twist realy need over a 30 inch barrel im just wondering do you get a more effeicent powder burn?
So far theres only 100 rounds down the tube but the 7saum looks extremely promising.

That day we were shooting a 50bmg right along side the 7mm. The results surprised us, the elevation needed to get the 7 to 1800y was with in 1moa of the big 50s 750gr Amax. Both rounds were needing 4moa of wind that day, it was basically keeping up with the BMG except on sheer power.

As for the 8.5twist, the original plan was for a 30" 1/9 twist but those were out of stock for months.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts