Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all fellow shooters. im looking into buying a 700p in 338. before doing so id like for someone who has really shot the 338 to compare it to say a 7mm ultra mag. i shoot f-class but in 308 and imho its no worse than a 223 or 243. I dont plan to shoot it other than at our own matches on our private ranches here in texas. Any report will greatky be appreciated. thanks to all.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I haven't shot the Lapua or the Ultramag but I've done a bunch with the 338 Win Mag and 7MM Rem Mag. I wouldn't want to shoot a match with either. Even with a good brake, the .338 gets old after 10-15 rounds at the bench. If you're a big guy and can take the recoil, they are really accurate to shoot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 338 Lapua in a 700P. I can't compare it to the 7mm Ultra Mag but my guess would be a substantial amount
of increased recoil with the 338 LM. It's not difficult to shoot but it does take some getting used to regarding recoil. It is expensive to shoot even if you reload but it is capable of some incredible range and accuracy. It is very loud and creates a lot of muzzle pressure for those around you. I don't think it would win you many friends on the firing line from those close to you. My spotter moved behind me from his usual position due to the muzzle pressure, this was after telling me to kiss his ***. It's a lot of fun and I enjoy the challenge of shooting it well and I continue my efforts to master it. However I don't think I would want to take the punishment and expense in trying to shoot it competitively if a lot of rounds were necessary for practice or matches. I would probably look to something lighter than the Lapua if that were the case. I'm 6-2 and weigh 240 pounds and the most I've shot in one sitting was 20 rounds from the prone position. That was all I wanted at the time. On the other hand if I wanted a big caliber round capable of some impressive range to shoot for fun, I would tell you to buy it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts