Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just got threw getting my rifle bedded and got a chance to load some round, what I would like some info on 1.)do these groups look good? 2.) if you changed anything on vertical stringing would you? How? Thanks for the Input Heres the load/Data Info.
Remington Fire-formed Cases (primer pocket uniformed/flash hole deburred
Lapua Scenar 155Gr Bullets weighed out to 154.4 gr
Winchester Magnum Primer
46.9 Gr Varget
C.O.A.L. 2.888
OGive 2.253
Remington 700P 26 in HB
Bed Job
Light Trigger
Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50mm Scope
Burris 30mm Rings
Tps Steel Base
Wind was perfect,did not move grass, leaves
8:00 pm
temp 80.4F

Shot 1.) Cold Bore is in the top left corner (red) fps unknown
Shot 2.) Top left Hand Corner (red) 2896 fps
Shot 3.) Top leftHand Corner (red) 2878 fps
Shot 4.) Top left Hand Corner (red) 2897 fps
I felt that these shots were shooter error

Shot 5.) Bottom Right Hand Corner (blue) 2899 fps
Shot 6.) Bottom Right Hand Corner (blue) 2891 fps
Shot 7.) Bottom Right Hand Corner (blue) 2861 fps

Shots 5-7 Measured .888 in length x .698

Shot 8.) red bottom left hand corner 2891 fps
Shot 9.) blue bottom left hand corner 2872 fps
shot 10.) Black bottom left hand corner 2879 fps

Shots 8-10 measured .793x .303

Do you think shots 5-8 are Human Error, everything is tight on the rifle. Action screws are just snugged, Would you consider room for improvement? Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
One thing I noticed is the primer. I usually run match primers because they burn more consistent it would seem. I just ran a 300 WM load this past weekend and and noticed that one load that gave me about .8-.7 of and inch gave me .3 just from the switch from regular to match primers. Just a thought.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of Match Primers are you currently using?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
For me it kinda varies. It seems that Varget likes the CCI BR-2 primers and IMR 4064 like Federal 210M. Also might want to check out info on how to anneal cases that way neck tension is good on all sides. If you have an annealing machine your good to go if not I would recommend going to midway and getting a bottle of Tempilaq for 650* F 343* C. With this stuff you can do it by hand because once it reaches 650* it melts and tells you that the temp for annealing has been reached. But before you go into this next step with primers and annealing I would get out and try some more stuff. Maybe even mess with the powder amount with little amounts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would tend to agree with the primer suggestion. However, changing the primer can affect the entire load. After changing ignition sources it may be necessary to change powder levels slightly. Because this load is shooting OK with magnum primers my first move would be to use standard CCI LR primers. You will most likely lose about 30 fps in velocity but you may gain consistency. If this doesn't do it moving to the BR-2 is not a horrible idea. You will again lose a bit of velocity but again gain more consistency. You may notice that you no longer have a 40FPS variation in a 3 shot string.

The other thing I would ask about it the prep work on the brass. It seems you did a lot of work but you never mentioned weighing cases and separating them by weight. Just a suggestion that worked for me in a few guns. Sometimes you can see cases vary as much as 5 grains after the prep work is done especially with remington brass. Additionally checking the necks for concentricity may yield results. Sometimes a bit of extra time spent on weeding out the right brass can have huge payoffs.

Good luck and good shooting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My post is based on an article I read on 6mmbr.com. I forget the guys name but he shoots a .308 and learned that his performed much better when loaded in the 2600 fps neighborhood. Check out that website, click on .308 info on the left side of screen and scoll down to interview. Good read/info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts