Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I currently have the B24 that did not work well on the Rem 700 Long Range, but may work well for this build...

Machine gun Air gun Match rifle shooting Trigger Shooting range

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
FedEx just delivered this:

Edit: Unlike the Timney 510 trigger for the Rem 700, the 783 Timney trigger has a very thin trigger blade. I like the look and feel of the wider blade on the 510, than I do this blade. That said, the Timney for the 783 has no creep, and breaks nicely at a safe 3lbs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Finally an update; I am shelving the Boyd stock for now, even though I purchased a bottom metal unit for the rifle from Pacific Tool & Gauge. I just ordered a complete XLR Element 3.0 chassis for this build. The decision did not come lightly, as dropping a "G" on a $300 rifle that I have not even shot yet, was a heck of a wrestling match. However, I was PM'ing a member on the Snipers Hide forum, who has just such a setup, and he said he loves it, and highly recommended it. Chassis options are slim, with XLR having the better option (in my opinion). When it arrives, I believe I can finally get a shooting report published...

Here is the pic of the pre production model that XLR made for the 783:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, looks like I will waiting even longer; due to C19, XLR is experiencing 12 - 18 weeks delay on all orders... Hopefully I will get my Rem 700 SPS back soon, so I can play a little bit...

·
Super Moderator
1,408 Posts
I went the PDN Gen IV route on one of my 700s. S/S 700 Receiver and Krieger 29" Heavy Varmint Contour Barrel with Break. .308 Palma Set Up. Bigs N Andy trigger Nightforce 8x32 BR Scope. 20 MOA Rail with Burris Signature Z Tactical rings.

Trigger Office equipment Air gun Bumper Gun accessory

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
While I am waiting for my chassis to arrive from XLR, I went ahead and took my original Boyds walnut stock, and PT&G bottom metal over to my gunsmith to have the stock milled for the metal. I may never mount this configuration together, and will probably sell the combo... As I have ordered a new barrel for the 783; an X-Caliber in 1:8 twist; M24 contour. This will go on the action, and sit in the XLR chassis for final assembly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So, long wait over, I was able to pick up my 783 (and my 700 SPS) today. The 783 looks great with the Boyd's stock and PT&G bottom metal. I will get pics up later.

In the meantime, I was sweating bullets on whether or not all of my orders would come in before "The Great Awakening" commences...

I now have an XLR chassis, an X-Caliber barrel, and a Fat Bastard Brake, along with go & no-go gauges and a barrel wrench... I have two options; to either stay with the Boyd's stock option, or build up a full chassis with custom barrel... Truth be told, the Boyd's stock and PT&G bottom metal will probably go on Sniper's Hide Buy-Sell-Trade forums listing.

Thanks for following along!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts