Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:
Am relatively new here. I am interested in a Rem 700 5-R Gen 2 rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor (R85198). Can't find one for sale (everyone is out of stock). My question: Is Remington still making them? tia

·
Administrator
690 Posts
RemArms is making rifles based on what I have seen but for some reason the majority of new rifles appear to be lower end ADL models that are not even listed on the web site. Since RemArms bought and reopened the Ilion, NY facility it seems that 870 shotguns have been the majority of the production. RemArms has also announced a move/opening of the corporate office to Georgia and the opening of a new production facility. There is no recent information on how that is going. This was announced a year ago.

I don't have any inside information but I suspect that RemArms has not rehired a large percentage of former employees (they rehired about 300 of the over 800 that were working before the last bankruptcy when production resumed). I don't know but suspect that RemArms is playing everything close to the vest as the worker's are represented by the United Mine Workers.

As to your question you will just have to keep an eye out for that rifle. You will be able to identify new production by the RA prefix on the serial number. RR prefix is about 2013-2020. Single letter and no letter is earlier. And good luck.

·
Administrator
690 Posts
How does this model (REM Arms Firearms 700 SPS Tactical 6.5 Creedmoor 4+1 Cap 22" AAC, R84204) compare? It's less expensive so what am I giving up?tia
The SPS Tactical is very similar to my 700 SPS Tactical in 308 from 2011. I love it but the "stock" stock is not what I would call quality. It feels good but is very flexible on the fore end and only pillar bedded. Off a bipod or rest it is not free floated. I replaced mine with this:

The 5R was always said to be more accurate but mine with the upgraded stock can compete with most of the 5R's I've seen and shot. Mine was not threaded so I added a clamp on muzzle break and a Timney trigger. Remington triggers are a mixed bag. Some are good and some not so good.

The load work up and a verification group photos are attached. I use three shots for load development and seldom shoot paper with this rifle.
Art Font Circle Logo Paint

Orange Font Red Circle Pattern

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doom:
Thank you for the details and help. Looks like you have an accurate rifle. Based on the input, I ordered the 700 SPS Tactical (R84204). I saw another post that suggested Remington may be shipping all 700s with 5-R barrels. That would be a plus. When mine comes in, I'll provide feedback.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi All:
Am relatively new here. I am interested in a Rem 700 5-R Gen 2 rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor (R85198). Can't find one for sale (everyone is out of stock). My question: Is Remington still making them? tia
Why the 6.5? In my opinion, I'd stick with good old .308, unless there is a specific reason for the 6.5. Don't get me wrong Its a decent round, and I do own one, but I just don't get the hype. If you're shooting 900 yards or less the 6.5 doesn't offer you much, and up to 500 yards its a toss up between the two, and 6.5 is 3x the price for ammo, plus cooks your barrel 2x as fast. Based on the price of ammo, If i'm going to be paying a premium, and .308 is out of the question, why not get creative and do 7mm ARC, 7mm-08, etc.. Even .270 is a great under appreciated round. I just think the 6.5 is a tad over rated and doesn't offer enough to warrant its price and hard barrel life. Lastly at the days end it comes down to your intended use to make a final decision

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why the 6.5? In my opinion, I'd stick with good old .308, unless there is a specific reason for the 6.5. Don't get me wrong Its a decent round, and I do own one, but I just don't get the hype. If you're shooting 900 yards or less the 6.5 doesn't offer you much, and up to 500 yards its a toss up between the two, and 6.5 is 3x the price for ammo, plus cooks your barrel 2x as fast. Based on the price of ammo, If i'm going to be paying a premium, and .308 is out of the question, why not get creative and do 7mm ARC, 7mm-08, etc.. Even .270 is a great under appreciated round. I just think the 6.5 is a tad over rated and doesn't offer enough to warrant its price and hard barrel life. Lastly at the days end it comes down to your intended use to make a final decision
It's pretty much all rifle manufacturers are stocking right now. About a month ago I started looking for rifles to replace my 30-06. Absolutely nothing available outside of 6.5CM, Remington, Tikka, bergara, weatherby, ect. all 6.5. instead of a 6 5, the 30-06 is getting updates.

I don't think it's a terrible round, but there is some hype and a cult following. From the outside looking in, it's an OK round for hunting and a good one for target. It wears the barrel out quicker, hadn't heard that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's pretty much all rifle manufacturers are stocking right now. About a month ago I started looking for rifles to replace my 30-06. Absolutely nothing available outside of 6.5CM, Remington, Tikka, bergara, weatherby, ect. all 6.5. instead of a 6 5, the 30-06 is getting updates.

I don't think it's a terrible round, but there is some hype and a cult following. From the outside looking in, it's an OK round for hunting and a good one for target. It wears the barrel out quicker, hadn't heard that?
I just finished assembling a new gun using an old 783 I had laying around. It was a .308 gun, and although a cheaply made gun they 're pretty darn accurate. I decided to do a barrel swap, and contacted Prefered Barrel Blanks, while reviewing calibers and options, I brought up the 6.5, and he said if I planned on doing a lot of shooting to stick with the .308 as I'd be lucky to get 2500-3000 rounds from the 6.5 with a good quality barrel, and even less with a cheap production barrel like the 783 has, vs 4000-8000 for a .308.

I ultimatley decided on a 24" 5R 1-10 twist setup, with a match .308 chamber. Im recovering from hand surgery but hope to shoot it soon. Aside from the barrel life issue, the biggest thing was for target shooting anway its pricey to shoot, and as I said at under 1000 yards, there's no advantage i've seen to warrant it. Ive done a few long range weekend courses here most for fun and brush my skills up, and in amature target work, nobody shot any better with either. Even instructors who were former military snipers were not big fans.

The technical reason explained to me was that the 6mm in general is an "Overbore" design, Apprently theres a formula to determine how fast a cartridge will wear out a barrel. i don't fully understand but apprently a big case with large powder capacity pushing an exceptionaly small diamter bullet is hard on barrels. I'm only repeating what I was told and what ive read in articles so don't hold me to it 100%.

Whats your budget? If you like to tinker, you can assemble something nice for less than you think. Here are some pics of the 783 I put together in less than an hour. I'm ready to do another and this time I'm going to do it with the 700 action, and some odd ball caliber. In the end its all about having fun, being safe, and choosing options that best suit your needs, and/or budget.

Good luck.

PS the Bergara B14 HMR is a real bargain and a ton of rifle for the money.

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Road surface Bicycle fork
Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Automotive tire Flooring

Automotive tire Trigger Bumper Automotive exterior Shotgun

Automotive tire Bicycle part Air gun Rim Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera lens Bumper Machine tool

Bumper Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Gadget

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Asphalt Bumper Rim

Bumper Office equipment Automotive exterior Electronic instrument Automotive wheel system

1 - 10 of 10 Posts