Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I looked at two Remington 700 Stainless 5R rifles at my local gun shop yesterday. Both were Remington item number 29663. One had a standard bolt and the other had a bolt with the newfangled locking mechanism and a set of orange colored plug looking things that are the little key devices to lock and unlock the bolt. Is this something new at Remington that the lawyers have talked them into doing to limit liability? Other than this variation, the rifles looked identical. The bolt lock looks silly to me so I opted for the rifle without the locking gizmo. Did I make the right decision? Please let me know what this bolt lock is all about.

Thanks,

Kix

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The little lock I was referring to is called a Remington "J" lock. One of the Remington 700 5R rifles I looked at had this weird looking bolt lock mechanism with an orange plug handled little "key" to operate it. Visions came into my mind of sitting and waiting all day for the trophy elk of a lifetime to appear out of the trees and I suddenly discover that my bolt is locked and I left the little orange "key" in the truck or worse still, at home. This device is definitely not for me. What idiot lawyer thought up this hair brained idea??? I'll bet it's the same cretin who thought up the cross-bolt safety for Marlin lever action rifles.

Kix

·
Registered
120 Posts
I thought Remington did away with the "j" lock. It is easy to replace with a couple of parts from Brownells

1 - 3 of 3 Posts