Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
A few days ago I purchased a new Model 700 5R SS milspec (order #85200) from dealer here in Canada.
It's a 20" and not the Gen 2.
The strange thing is that dealer's price tag says it's 24" barrel, the green Remington sticker on the box
says "Model 700 stainless w/ 5r rifling bolt action centerfire rifle 24" BBL TH MZL 308 WIN syn stock w/ green web Serial No. RRxxxxxM Order No. 85200 "
There is another small white sticker saying "85200: 700 SS 5R milspec cal 308 20" threaded #Serial RRxxxxxM "
the serial RRxxxxxM is the same on the rifle and both stickers.
The rifle itself is indeed 20", .308 Win, threaded, SS, syn stock w/ green web.
2 questions:
1. Any idea why 24" is on the box sticker? I know that 85200 is 20" version.
2. Is it true that Remington uses to test fire the new rifle and not to clean it after? - I found some brass remains on the bolt face and
the bore is not clean.
It was difficult for me to decide - 20" or 24" and what type of rifle I want to build so I accepted this as a destiny:)
Anyway I like the rifle and hope to build a nice system soon.
Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New York

From where and to where are you measuring?

Bob

·
Super Moderator
506 Posts
As Remington was going into bankruptcy they were putting things together somewhat haphazardly. Can you look at the barrel on the left side near the action? There should be a two letter code. The first should be one of the letters in BLACKPOWDER which is the month built and the second is the year, and should fit the following:

Font Number Pattern Parallel Screenshot

I assume the first part of the S/N is RR which is the last S/N prefix I'm aware of. It is strange that the main box label didn't fit the model. I can only guess that they planned to go to the GEN 2 and go with the 24"barrel but didn't do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the left side of the barrel I can see only "REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY ILION, NY 308 WIN" kind of in the middle, between muzzle and receiver, left side of receiver: serial # RRxxxxxM, some qrcode and usual "Remington model 700"
On the right side of the barrel: close to the receiver some triangle or trillium and letter P, then in the middle "5R TACTICAL 1:11 1/4"

·
Super Moderator
506 Posts
Here is a Feb 2011 Tactical.
Personal computer Office equipment Office supplies Netbook Writing implement
Personal computer Office equipment Office supplies Netbook Writing implement

·
Super Moderator
506 Posts
I’m not sure when but Reminton obviously stopped dating the barrel. Just out of curiosity have you tried scanning the QR code?

·
Super Moderator
506 Posts
I had a chance to look at one of these yesterday. Nice rifle. It had markings where mine does for date code but it was not legible. You may have one under the stock. Keep that in mind if you ever pull the action.

·
Registered
418 Posts
So you thought you bought a 24 inch 5r butt got a 20 inch threaded,and if you’re happy with that,it’s great I guess I wouldn’t be upset too much about that either as you have different options now,either way the 5r .308 is a great shooting rifle and you should consider yourself lucky to score one them especially a gen 1 ,hope you enjoy the heck out of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you thought you bought a 24 inch 5r butt got a 20 inch threaded, and if you’re happy with that, it's great I guess I wouldn’t be upset too much about that either as you have different options now,either way the 5r .308 is a great shooting rifle and you should consider yourself lucky to score one them especially a gen 1 ,hope you enjoy the heck out of it.
Thank you! Absolutely!
I wanted the model 700 to try precision shooting and really wanted 5r with 1:11 1/4 in .308 for several reasons, and I wanted it new!
Then I saw this one. I knew it's 20" and bought it as 20" I'm just curious about 24" on the box. Probably printing error...

·
Super Moderator
1,414 Posts
I have a 6" Python that I bought new in 1978. The box says 4". It was mis-marked at the factory, which I confirmed when I bought it. Got if from a Colt Distributer that I regularly bought from and he thought he had a 4" one in the box until he booked it in. I got confirmation from Colt that it was made and shipped as a 6". In 1978 the copy on the boxes, like Smiths were hand written. Still have the letter from Colt with it and is still has never been fired other than the 3 proof rounds from the Factory.

Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts