Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought what better place to seek help and answers than here. A few years ago I picked up a Remington Custom Shop “Grade II” in 7mm Rem Mag from a buddy. It’s gorgeous French Walnut and I just couldn’t say no. Truth be told I’m moving homes and just kind of rediscovered it in the safe. In the hierarchy of custom shop rifles I’m curious where this falls? Been curious for details on it since I had it as I struggled to find much in the way hard information other than it appears to be “above” the “Grade C”? Any help on history or details would be awesome! I hope I posted this in the appropriate section. If not my apologies in advance.
Wood Wood stain Tool Varnish Hardwood

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Tableware Kitchen utensil Tool Wood Cutlery

Wood Fishing lure Metal Fishing bait Musical instrument

Couch Wood studio couch Flooring Floor

·
Administrator
638 Posts
Beautiful rifle. It would help to know the year it was built. Go here and see how to determine the date of manufacture. Post some pictures if you need assistance. The serial number can also help. If you post it, only show the first four letters/numbers like A374xxx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Beautiful rifle. It would help to know the year it was built. Go here and see how to determine the date of manufacture. Post some pictures if you need assistance. The serial number can also help. If you post it, only show the first four letters/numbers like A374xxx.
I actually got a card with it that dated it to 1989 and listed the name of the gentleman that built it. Let me see if I can find that card. So much of my stuff is still in boxes. I do recall that the last name of the gentleman that built the rifle was strangely enough Remington

·
Administrator
638 Posts
Being custom, I’m not sure what the options were but the checkering on the stock seems very unique, especially around the pistol grip.

Maybe rkittine can help on this. I only know that you have a beautiful rifle. You would have a difficult time finding any rifle of this quality today. It took me back to the days of my childhood when the rifle rack was above the fireplace mantle and the rifles often rivaled or exceeded the furniture in terms of the quality of the woodwork.

I’m jealous!

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Beautiful Rifle. Tim McCormick worked in the Custom Shop for over 35 years and retired as its manager prior to the move to Dakoda Arms. Let me know what you find in your records and I will reach out to Tim.

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
The D and F grades stopped in late 70’s early 80’s.
Remington started calling the 700 Grade I,II,III,IV and were made from 1984-1992ish after that they came back with the C grade and 700 Custom half or full coverage.
When I get home I can get you the exact info and options and if possible post few pics of my 700 Grade IV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The D and F grades stopped in late 70’s early 80’s.
Remingtong started calling the 700 Grade I,II,III,IV and were made from 1984-1992ish after that they came back with the C grade and 700 Custom half or full coverage.
When I get home I can get you the exact info and options and if possible post few pics of my 700 Grade IV.
That would be awesome!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
so here are the standard and option specs for the Grade II

700 Grade II
english, black or claro walnut straight comb stock with or without cheekpiece std
(stock has more beauty/shadowlines on forend, bottom metal and sling swivel pedestal areas compared to Grade I)

shadow line cheekpiece opt
ebony or rosewood tip std
ebony rosewood cross pin plugs std
ebony or rosewood grip cap std
0.60" old english butt pad std
Dakota Arms solid metal floor plate trigger guard std
Dakota Arms skeleton grip cap w/checkering opt
Dakota Arms two screw solid steel grip cap opt
Dakota Arms skeleton butt plate w/checkering opt
solid steel butt plate opt
two-screw sling swivel studs with swivels inletted std
hand cut point pattern with ribbons checkering 22lpi std
10k gold oval opt
high gloss or satin wood finish std
hand rubbed oil finish opt
iron sights opt
13 3/8lop std
non standard lop opt
LH opt
Remington Custom shop profile barrel lengths 18.5" - 24" light, medium, heavy contour std

Font Material property Paper Document Parallel

Font Paper Paper product Document Handwriting

Brown Wood Rectangle Shipping box Material property
Font Rectangle Parallel Paper Number

Font Material property Space Publication Paper

Eyewear Font Material property Revolver Musical instrument accessory

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Once you got up to at least IV Grade, you started getting Highly Figured Wood. It is a shame that the Custom Shop is no more, but maybe the gang from Dakota Arms will bring it back. They built my last Custom Shop gun which was built for competition rather than Beauty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Once you got up to at least IV Grade, you started getting Highly Figured Wood. It is a shame that the Custom Shop is no more, but maybe the gang from Dakota Arms will bring it back. They built my last Custom Shop gun which was built for competition rather than Beauty.
My experience along with a few other guy's was that Dakota Arms couldn't run a proper business pre and post Remington Custom Shop transition, now they re-birthed under ParkWest Arms and they are the same crew with the same terrible customer service.

Long story short I had Grade IV stock patterns made and have original custom shop medium and heavy contour barrel profiles for building future rifles.

Bill Keeler is old now and no longer making stocks and Don Talbot is still engraving for Delgrego.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
The people at Dakota Arms that ran the Remington Custom Shot there gave me great customer service and the last rifle I had them build is holding under 6" groups at 1,000 yards with Lapua Factory ammo and under 5" with my reloads. Pretty special for a rifles built this way.

If Ward Dobler, Marla Heble and Carlos Martinez are working at this new entity, I would consider another build by them. Those are the people that I have worked with in the past.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts