Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
301 - 320 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Hilljack welcome to the club first off! Setup looks nice. All you would need is a stock upgrade from that factory stock. Then it will be a shooter for sure. How is the suppressor? Willing to bet it make a difference :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Man.

Got this SPS second hand. Would not have gone with this scope/base , but they will work for now. First thing I did was take the base off, and re-loctited(blue) it back on. Was a good thing, as the rear most screw was loose. After that, got the muzzle threaded for the muffler. Dang I love those things. Kinda sounds like a .22 Mag . Tried out some cheap factory loads. Eh, you get what you pay for. Tried some loads I developed in ARs, much better. Ran 6 loads on an OCW, but think I'm still on the low side yet. Will try again soon. It seems to like 69 grain bullets.

A Timney 510 just got here, thank you MR. Mail Man. That should help some. Also ordered a Magpul stock. Kinda debated that one for a bit. We will see how it works out. Hope they make a .223 removable magazine for it.

Anyway, I'm having fun with this thing.

Thanks for the welcome, and I look forward to learning more about it.

Hilljack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Str8shot

It has a 1:9 twist and seems to really like 69 grain bullets. Fired a couple groups with 75 grainers and it seemed happy. Trying to get some 55 grain loads going also. Will post up some results.

Picked up a scope that more suitable for what i want to do. It's an SWFA 3-15. Diggin it so far....

·
Registered
233 Posts
how far have you shot it yet? I would not think to far yet if they seem to shoot ok. JMHO. I can't think with a 1:12 that heavier bullets will stabilize very well. YMMV Rem 700 223 with a faster twist are awesome with heavier bullets much further out then people think. Of course you may end up single loading the truly "big" bullets like 75 amax on up to 90gr. But worth it. I wish I could have more mag length room for my AR with White oak barrel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
how far have you shot it yet? I would not think to far yet if they seem to shoot ok. JMHO. I can't think with a 1:12 that heavier bullets will stabilize very well. YMMV Rem 700 223 with a faster twist are awesome with heavier bullets much further out then people think. Of course you may end up single loading the truly "big" bullets like 75 amax on up to 90gr. But worth it. I wish I could have more mag length room for my AR with White oak barrel.
His has a 1:9 twist.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Dudeman.

Have not shot very far yet. Just 100 yards on paper and 300 yards on steel. Hope to get some groups at 200 yards. Have two loads that look good at 100 yards. Want to see if one is better than the other at longer range.

301 - 320 of 341 Posts