Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my Remington model 700. It's a SPS Tactical in .308. I've had it for over a year now. It's my first major "target" type rifle.

I put a Leupold Mark 4, 4.5 - 14 x 50 on it. That's been a great scope and the adjustments are crisp and clean!

Specs:
  • Leupold Mark 4, 4.5 - 14 x 50 [/*]
  • Mark 4 20 MOA base[/*]
  • Mark 4 "high" rings[/*]
  • everything else stock so far[/*]

Some day I would like to upgrade the stock. But it shoots so well now, I don't see a need to do it quite yet!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nice combo. I'm going to pick up something similar one of these days... but I'll probably go for the SPS Varmint, just because I like a little longer barrel.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the VLS before settleing on the Tactical. I just felt 26" was a little to long for me. I was a little hesitant about going as short as 20", but after reading some reviews and considering the price difference, I was sold! ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's what's great about modern CNC machining... just a couple of computer keystrokes, and a change like a 6" shorter barrel is done.

If I don't like the long barrel, I can always take it to a 'smith and have it chopped off. Good time to have the barrel set back slightly and a precision rechamber done.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that's true, it's a simple fix to get the barrel trimmed.

One thing I didn't like was the laminated stock on that particular rifle, and since I was going to eventually replace the stock at some point, I didn't want to pay close to $900 for a VLS (I didn't shop around too much on prices... they were selling it at Gander Mountain for that price) for a barreled action with a stock I didn't like.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is your SPS straight out of the box, or have you done any tuning? Trigger pull, bedding, or muzzle crown?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's completely stock.. out of the box. The only thing I've done so far is add a scope to it. I want to do some work on the trigger. It's that x-mark pro trigger. The feel is crisp and clean, but it's just too heavy.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you like them! I wasn't overlly satisfied with the photos myself, but I guess one can at least tell what it is. ;)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
billt said:
Are the rings and base Leupold as well?

Yes sir they are! I went with the steel ones to add as much weight as possible. So far I'm at 11.5 lbs. I will replace the stock at some point, so I think that will up the weight a bit more and if I glass bed it that should give me a few more ounces!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm a big fan of all steel rings and bases as well. No Aluminum for me! I like the added weight and beef steel provides. Bill T.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The rings I used are high rings. Although, I could get away with medium rings and still have enough barrel clearance. I haven't decided on a stock yet, but i was looking at some of them made by Bell and Carlson.

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/Page8.htm

That link above has some of there "Medalist Remington Varmint/Tactical (adjustable stock)" stocks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
They make some nice looking stocks. They have one called a Remington Light Tactical stock it's one of thier newer models, no adjustments on this one but a nice basic looking stock and at a pretty good price. Brownells for $284

1 - 20 of 20 Posts