Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered and received my first Remington 700. Super excited to get it and have a done a ton of research before hand. I knew I wanted the model 85201 (24” barell with 1:11.25” twist, satin black Cerakote barrel, action, and bolt, HS precision sand w/ black web stock, in .308 WIN. I verified the model number with where I ordered from online (KYGunCo) and the model number on the box I received and they both matched at 85201…however, my barrel twist is stamped 1:10” instead of 1:11.25” like all the others I’ve seen and my bolt body is polished and not Cerakoted.

Are there any Remington experts out there that can tell me why mine has the same model number but a different barrel twist rate and a different bolt finish?

Also, opinions on if the 1:10 twist is too much for the 24” barrel? I see the new Alpha 1 in .308 has 1:10 twist for a 22” barrel.

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not as far as I know, the listing didn’t show it was anyway.

Here is the link for the website I bought it from and all I paid attention to was the model number figuring I had exactly what I wanted…

· Registered
34 Posts

Here is the link for the website I bought it from and all I paid attention to was the model number figuring I had exactly what I wanted…

My apologies, I thought it was used vs new.
On the magazine plate, does it say "custom shop"?
The reason I ask, it looks identical to one that I own. That looks like the same Bell and Carlson stock I've got on mine, I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Have you shot it yet?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not shot it yet. Just got it a couple days ago and still need to get a nice optic and rings for it.

I checked and the bottom of the magazine plate does not have any custom shop marking.

And I believe this has the correct HS Precision stock, it doesn’t look to match any Bell and Carlson stock from what I can find.

Attachments

· Registered
34 Posts
I have not shot it yet. Just got it a couple days ago and still need to get a nice optic and rings for it.

I checked and the bottom of the magazine plate does not have any custom shop marking.

And I believe this has the correct HS Precision stock, it doesn’t look to match any Bell and Carlson stock from what I can find.
It looks like a great rifle.

· Administrator
726 Posts
Remington has long been known for making changes or substituting parts within a model number. I didn't find that model number on the website so I'm not sure what it was supposed to be. As for the 1 in 10 twist, rifles are trending that direction due to the longer 308 caliber bullets in the 175 to 200 grain range, such as the Berger 185 Target Hybrid (SG of 1.6) . I wouldn't try anything less 168 grains if it were my rifle. You will find things like the 168SMK to have SG's in the 2.4 range. Good luck.

· Registered
171 Posts
To add what Doom posted; the stock is a Bell & Carlson not a HS Precision, nothing wrong with B & C stocks, owned few of them. As far as 1:10 twist, have experience with 308 1:10 shooting Hornady 155's and 168's, 24" barrel printed sub MOA groups with both weights. Your rifle sought after by 700 30 caliber shooters for its accuracy, you did well and enjoy it, I would .......................

· Administrator
726 Posts

The R85201 is a RemArms model number so it is of new manufacture by RemArms. Whether the stock is B&C or HS is pretty much a moot point as both were developed for Remington and used interchangeably. I haven't heard of any issues with either.

· Registered
9 Posts

That site shows 1:10

1 - 11 of 11 Posts