Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to purchase a 700VS but have had a difficult time finding out much about them first. I think they were produced back in the early 2000s as a varmint rifle but then discontinued at some point. If anybody has any info on these, what kind of rep they have or what they tend to sell for these days please share! Thanks.
Wood Metal Air gun Spear Gun barrel

· Administrator
726 Posts
Look on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver for some information. check out these treads:

Remington catalogs from 1911 through 2011

As for reputation you have a heavy varmint barrel. Almost all Remington issues revolve around the trigger and stock. The VS has a good stock and the trigger is probably a Walker (pre 2006) but once the date is determined we'll know better. Concerning the trigger you may want to look at the following:

Remington-walker trigger explanation

Check back if you need any help, especially with the date on the barrel.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver for some information. check out these treads:

Remington catalogs from 1911 through 2011

As for reputation you have a heavy varmint barrel. Almost all Remington issues revolve around the trigger and stock. The VS has a good stock and the trigger is probably a Walker (pre 2006) but once the date is determined we'll know better. Concerning the trigger you may want to look at the following:

Remington-walker trigger explanation

Check back if you need any help, especially with the date on the barrel.
Thanks for the info. A guy on another forum that owned four of the VS said they were produced 1992-2004 and the Left Handed versions were only produced 1998-2004. My favorite go-to deer rifle is my Left Handed 700 CDL in 30-06 which I purchased new as 2005 production. Was told by Reminton that serial number was not subject to the recall and it actually doesn't give me any problems- can shoot 1" groups all day long with plain old M2 ball ammo. I would hope I could expect better than that out of the VS with M80 ball, or at least off the shelf match ammo.

· Registered
9 Posts
I have a chance to purchase a 700VS but have had a difficult time finding out much about them first. I think they were produced back in the early 2000s as a varmint rifle but then discontinued at some point. If anybody has any info on these, what kind of rep they have or what they tend to sell for these days please share! Thanks. View attachment 6185
I have 2 of those 700 VS rifles both made in the early 2000’s they are the same as the 700P, with the exception that there isn’t a palm swell and the forend is a bit thinner, mine both shoot extremely well . The 308 will consistently shoot 1/2 groups with hand loads a little more with match ammo and the 22-250 a little better !

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 2 of those 700 VS rifles both made in the early 2000’s they are the same as the 700P, with the exception that there isn’t a palm swell and the forend is a bit thinner, mine both shoot extremely well . The 308 will consistently shoot 1/2 groups with hand loads a little more with match ammo and the 22-250 a little better !
Thanks for the info, sounds like the one I'm looking at could be worth having.

· Administrator
726 Posts
Keep in mind that these rifles will have the following barrel twist limitations

223 1 in 12 55gr
22-250 1 in 14 50-55 gr
308 1 in12 ~ 178-185gr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts