Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a .204 model three weeks ago but, have not shot it yet due to the poor inconsistent accuracy reports I've read on a lot of other forums some say they shoot, and some say they are junk. I know Remington claims high accuracy even, at long ranges in their advertisements. All votes will help me make my decision to keep or trade and take a big loss. I sure hope I haven't been misled by false claims by Remington. Thanks for all votes! :)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have a friend that's has one and from what he told me he said it's so so. He says it shoot alright. His did not shoot as good as he thought it would from what I can remember it was either a .223 or a .308 but it was near 1.0 down to .75 with match ammo. He said that it's not worth getting one for the price just go with a regular barrel is what he was telling me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yea, I had one it shot well 5/8 to 3/4 in groups with hand loads and I would call that a good
accurate rifle,with that said I also liked the recoil reduction,it did make the 308 pleasant to shoot
however it was slightly tempature sensetive,the groups would open as the barell got hot.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
one nice thing about a BB is that you dont have to worry about the heat that much :D

I ran 20 round real quick through mine at the range and still no heat worries.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just shoot it. Opinions vary as much as shooters do, the one shooter that couldn't hold a guaranteed .00001 MOA rifle to 20 Minutes of Barn will show up and tell you that it's crap. If it shoots well for you, keep it; if not, give it to me! :D

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Robo said:
Just shoot it. Opinions vary as much as shooters do, the one shooter that couldn't hold a guaranteed .00001 MOA rifle to 20 Minutes of Barn will show up and tell you that it's crap. If it shoots well for you, keep it; if not, give it to me! Last edited by Robo (Today 2:23: PM)

hahaha :D

the one other thing that my friend told me was about the stock. The bolt pattern on the rifle is not like the 700 actions so you can swap stocks that easy. I cant say its 100% sure but that what he said when he was gonna switch out the stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan to hand load my own ammo hopefully, a good load will hold a tight consistent group. :)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
you should be good to go with good hand loads......

Just work up the loads and see what it likes :)

oh and welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a VTR in .308 back in 07 and I can honestly say if I had it over to do again....Wish I wouldn't have sold it. I was younger and it was my first bolt rifle and I had no clue about how good of a rifle it was. One average I was getting 1/2"-5/8" at 100 and on its best day I got 3/4" at 300 yards with a 3 round group. At the time I didnt know how good that was. I assumed that was normal for every gun. I know now why the first guy who looked at my 300 yard target bought it. The only reason I sold it was because I wanted to thread the barrel and my gunsmith told me I couldn't with the triangle barrel. Lessons learned!

·
Registered
89 Posts
the one other thing that my friend told me was about the stock. The bolt pattern on the rifle is not like the 700 actions so you can swap stocks that easy. I cant say its 100% sure but that what he said when he was gonna switch out the stock.
The action is just a 700 action no different than any other. If the stock will fit a varmint barreled sa 700 it will fit the VTR. I have read of people who love them and people who hate them. I personally don't care for the look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum so some of this may be covered elsewhere.

I bought a VTR in .308. I love the look and it feels great. Carrys well as a hunting rifle and snaps to the shoulder well. I like the wider forend and the ventilation as well.

When I went to the range, it shot well with sub moa groups but they werre constantly shifting around. I rechecked my scope mounts for tightness but that was good. The scope had been switched from my VSS. When I got home I stripped it down and found two issues that concerned me. The barrel was not free floated. There are two pressure pads near the tip. and the recoil lug was offcenter. I've never had a heavy barrel rifle that wasn't freefloated and when I contacted Remington about it they gave me the line about barrels work better with pressure to prevent barrel whip. I decided to free float the barrel and when I removed the pressure pads found that the stock forend was not straight. I had to remove a lot more material than I should have and now have an ugly gap on one side. The gun does now shoot more consistently though.

Waiting on Remington to reply about the recoil lug and crooked stock.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Barrel whip cannot be stopped,maybe you can minimize the movement with a custom bedded stock that allows the barrel to return to the same location.Another option is a barrel swap.It seems that Remington had some good features on the VTR but the performance is lacking.

·
Registered
795 Posts
From what I've read they are either shoot well or not. I guess shoot it and see how it is. I would be willing to speculate that since you have a fairly small caliber you have more barrel material than say a .308, you would have a better chance of it shooting well.

Not sure though... just my thoughts! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy;
It sounds as if most of the VTRs mentioned here are the short-barreled model w/ the brake. I have one of the 26" barreled models in 223. Had it a couple months and have only found two loads that shoot sub-moa. Tried 68 match, 64 SP, 50 HP, and 55 FMJs and 55 SP. Only the 55 grain bullets shoot well in my rifle for some reason. My best group so far was 5 into 9/16", 100 yards, from the Jeep, resting on the mirror. Local range was shut down, so we make do. I'd expected the heavier bullets to do the best, considering the 1 in 9 twist, but after trying several loads, suspect that it's not to be.

Edited: The trigger is nothing to write home about. Mine adjusts to about 3.5# and that's it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just picked up my first rifle about 2 months ago which is a VTR in .308, so far with cheap(crap) ammo i've been able to produce decent groupings(around 1.5 moa), put a whole in my first quarter, then my first dime(after sighting in new optics it didn't take long still crap ammo) i will be heading to the range to capture what she does with match grade FGMM 168's and should have some pictures to put up.

also the rifle feels amazing too shoot but yes the trigger could use some help, and the stock. but i do plan on changing out the stock and trigger, and doing the mag-mod. hope this helps you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like my gun shop says...with the 700 standard models being very acc (ofcourse training and practice) why would you need to spend so much more to only be a lil more acc? Ofcourse unless your thing is competition and the slightest thousandth of an inch gets the win then sure....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts