Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for help in determining exact model type.
I am looking at a rem 700 with H&S black stock with an alum block. It has a 24"223 parkerized barrel the muzzle has a flat recessed cut not concaved. The owner is unsure of the twist rate so I took a rod and patch to the barrel and it made 1 complete rotation in 12". The action has a hinged floor plate. The barrel diameter at the muzzle is 13/16" and it has a LL at end end of the barrel closes to the receiver. I can not tell if the trigger is original to the rifle or not. The scope is a Leupold Very - x-III-3.5 x 10 with tall turrets.
I tried to contact Remington or who ever owns them now but they were not helpful.
Any help would be appreciated.
Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood Metal
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Thanks

·
Administrator
638 Posts
What are the first 3 letters/digits of the Receiver serial number? Is there a QR code on the rifle. Are there ridges on the trigger?

·
Administrator
638 Posts
Sounds like its a 700 VS and the C puts it in the 90's along with the LL code (Feb 91). The trigger its in all likelihood the originall Walker Trigger. The only thing that is questionable is the 1991 Remington Catalog doesn't list a VS (Varmint Synthetic). Would not be the first time that has happened.

Go over to the General 700 section and you can see the sources of this information in the Stickies. If not familiar with the 700 and its trigger read the Remington Walker Trigger explaintion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like its a 700 VS and the C puts it in the 90's along with the LL code (Feb 91). The trigger its in all likelihood the originall Walker Trigger. The only thing that is questionable is the 1991 Remington Catalog doesn't list a VS (Varmint Synthetic). Would not be the first time that has happened.

Go over to the General 700 section and you can see the sources of this information in the Stickies. If not familiar with the 700 and its trigger read the Remington Walker Trigger explaintion.
The guy that owns it said this rifle was from the prison system originally

·
Administrator
638 Posts
If that's the case it's possible it could be a 700P but in that case it would probably be a 1 in 9 twist. Unfortunately I don't know if the parkerized finish separates it from other 700s at that time. Coin toss, I'm leaning towards 700P!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that's the case it's possible it could be a 700P but in that case it would probably be a 1 in 9 twist. Unfortunately I don't know if the parkerized finish separates it from other 700s at that time. Coin toss, I'm leaning towards 700P!
Thanks for all of your help. I have to agree that it is a 770p. on one of the pages you said to look at there is someone named gunny? he stated that there were 700p in 24"with 12 twist in the early 90's. It's a shame I can not find factory articles about these 12 twist rifles.

·
Administrator
638 Posts
Remington has put out 20" to 26" 1/12 barrels over the years and they all shoot very well. I have a 26" 1/12 varmint (Dick's Special ADL) with a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock and a Timmy 510 trigger. It shoots 52/53 grain target bullets extremely well. 5 shot group below (when shooting for groups I don't put rounds on the bull).

The 1/12' limitation is that it will not stabilize bullets much heavier than 60 grains. Mine would stabile the 60gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. My rifle also prefers flat based bullets but I seedom shoot more than 300yds so I don't need the boattails.

Amber Circle Font Rectangle Symbol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking for help in determining exact model type.
I am looking at a rem 700 with H&S black stock with an alum block. It has a 24"223 parkerized barrel the muzzle has a flat recessed cut not concaved. The owner is unsure of the twist rate so I took a rod and patch to the barrel and it made 1 complete rotation in 12". The action has a hinged floor plate. The barrel diameter at the muzzle is 13/16" and it has a LL at end end of the barrel closes to the receiver. I can not tell if the trigger is original to the rifle or not. The scope is a Leupold Very - x-III-3.5 x 10 with tall turrets.
I tried to contact Remington or who ever owns them now but they were not helpful.
Any help would be appreciated.
View attachment 5974 View attachment 5975
Thanks
The 700p had 3 swivel studs, two up front, one rear. The 700vs had 2 swivel studs, one fore and another aft.

g

1 - 14 of 14 Posts